Just tried the new MBP; price "not too bad" & really liked the keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Nov 14, 2016.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I've just tried the new non-touch MBP in the Sydney Apple store, and was quite impressed.

Although it is an expensive computer, it actually doesn't seem too bad when compared the MacBook and the older rMBP 13, which were placed next to it. For AU$2,199 (inc. taxes) it seemed to be a much more capable machine than the base MacBook at AU$1,999; yes it is slightly larger & heavier, but overall, the speed & features seemed much better. The older rMBP 13, configured with a (slower) 256GB SSD is still available but more expensive at AU$2,319, so I really can't see why anyone would choose this unless the need for legacy ports or the keyboard were a deal-breaker.

I didn't actually notice the keyboard until I thought about it, and actually found it preferable to the older one. For my typing style (very light), I found it both fast and accurate, although it does make a noticeably "clicky" sound.

The speakers are very loud & clear, and the screen is great.

If one can live with the lack of ports, or the need for dongles (already an issue with my 2013 rMBP 15), then I think it is actually quite a nice computer. I don't need one, and would wait until a second release (with Kaby Lake CPUs) in any case, but the experience was much more positive that I had expected after reading the criticism posted on MacRumors!

John.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's an enjoyable laptop to use when you forget about the price and shortcomings. My 2012 rMBP is definitely smoother though, which was even noticeable from using the 13" MBP for a few minutes. Apple is good at designing products for emotion.

3. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

The MBP non-TB is actually priced very well. If you take last year's model and upgrade to 256GB SSD the price gap will be very close. You get thinner & lighter form factor, 67% brighter screen, better speaker, 5% increase in CPU (unless under heavy load, it will throttle though), faster RAM and a GPU which is quite close to the Iris Pro 5200.

I was one of those new gen Mac haters but after a thorough analysis, I've concluded that this MBP 13" non-TB is superb! (Although I still think the 13" TB and 15" models are overpriced).

4. brynsmith23 macrumors regular

I was at the Brisbane Apple store today, checking it out, and i have the same views.

I think people will change there view on the keyboard, once they have tried the keyboard.

5. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

That keyboard, hated it at first, then started getting addicted to it.

Its like weed you know.

6. johngwheeler, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

Having looked at the US Apple store, it seems that the new MBP 13 and the previous base rMBP 13 upgraded to a 256GB SSD are actually the same price now. I also seem to recall the price of the new MBP being a bit higher (and the retina MacBook being a bit cheaper in Australia ($1799 for the base model).

Has Apple adjusted the prices silently, or am I imagining it?

John

[Edit: no I was imagining the price reduction in the 2016 MBP! However, I think the MacBook *did* increase its price and maybe the 2015 rMBP 13 as well. The price difference is relatively small (AU$200 between MacBook and new MBP, which seems fair and makes the MBP a better deal IMO)