Just updated iPhone 5 to 6.0.1 wirelessly and in trouble...Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejosepha, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ejosepha, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

ejosepha macrumors 6502

I am travelling and just updated my iPhone 5 to 6.0.1 and when I turn on the phone I get the symbol to attach the device to iTunes with usb. I don't know why but I can't get past this. I do have my second computer with me but when I did attach the usb to iTunes on my macbook air it says that phone seems to be in recovery mode and asks if I would like to do a complete restore. I will lose all of my data and return to factory settings. I have only attached this phone to my main computer where I have all of my basic data.
    Can anyone advise me of what I can do to use this phone or get around this?
    thanks for any advice.

2. ben824 macrumors regular

Did you not setup the phone to backup to iCloud?

3. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

I had no choice because I need the phone. I am now restoring. Hopefully that will work to at least give me use of the phone.

----------

I do have my calendar and notes and contact on ICloud. I just hope that I can get the phone working first. I'm on a slow wireless internet with macbook air so it says it will take 70 minutes to restore.

4. ben824 macrumors regular

But do you have it set to do full backups of the phone to iCloud or your computer? If you have it setup to do full backups to iCloud then your most recent backup should have most of your data stored there and you can recover it by restoring it from that backup in iCloud. Once you get the phone back up and running, if it start out as if it is a new phone then go through what it takes to get to where it asks to setup as new or restore from iCloud backup, choose iCloud backup and see if there are any recent backups to choose from. If you don't have any recent backups in iCloud then yah you are screwed until you get back to your main computer that you backup to. If you do not backup to any computer then your data is lost. You will still have all your contacts and calendars, etc. and you will be able to re-download apps you have purchased free of charge as long as you use the Apple ID you purchased them with but the saved data for them will still be lost.

If the phone does not setup as new but none of your data or settings are there and it is as if the phone was setup as new you can check for an iCloud backup by going to Setting>iCloud>Storage&Backups>Manage Storage>And under Backups it will list any backups stored there of which you may have a backup saved for your iPhone and you can tap on that backup if there is one to see when that backup was made.

If you want to restore from that backup then go to Settings>Genral>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. This will erase the phone and start as a new phone setup where you can go through the steps again to get where you can choose the option to restore from iCloud backup.

Good Luck!

5. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a complete backup to iCloud. I have just used ICloud for contacts, notes, calendars, and reminders. I'm OK to wait until I am home to do a complete backup of data from my main computer.
    I have another 20 minutes of download. Right now the computer just recognizes an IPhone attached. I hope there is a point when I will be able to identify it under my usual name id attached with the phone. Can you tell me what will happen next. I will complete the download then? (Knowing there is no Icloud other than what I mentioned above)
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer above.

6. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Warning to OP - when you hook your phone back up to your original computer, be careful not to do any backups before you restore from your old backup, or you will be very unhappy. If iTunes is configured to automatically back up your iPhone when it is attached or over WiFi, you will want to disable those features.

Just to be safe, you should probably make a copy of your most current backup files from the original computer before doing anything else.

7. ben824, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

ben824 macrumors regular

It will more than likely act as a new phone once it is recovered from its recovery mode. So everything you had on there will be gone until you get back to your main computer and restore from a backup stored on that computer. I also advise not letting it backup to your main computer to make sure you don't delete an old backup that you could use to restore the phone back to how you had it. Though I have always had the option to choose from multiple old backups stored on my computer if I so choose to use on of those.