Just upgraded from old 10.5 version to Snow Leopard 10.6.8…nothing working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoebug, Mar 1, 2013.

1. zoebug macrumors newbie

My husband decided to surprise me by installing Snow Leopard on my old MacBook Pro version 10.5. Well…….now nothing works. When I click on safari it "doesn't support the new software version." My internet connection is gone. My system preferences do not open/work. NOTHING WORKS. :mad: I can't click on anything. I can't even set up my existing portable mouse b/c I can't get in the system preferences.

I was reading about backing up 1st. My husband did not back anything up. He just downloaded the Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

He said there was some kind of "bridge" he heard about?? We can't even get to the App store to download b/c there is no internet connection.

We are not computer gurus by any means so the simpler the explanation the better. Thanks so much for any input. It will be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean he "downloaded" Snow Leopard? It's not available as a download so that would mean it was pirated which means it's possible the copy he downloaded is damaged somehow. I buy a copy or perhaps download a different copy.

Then do an 'Archive and Install' which reinstalls the OS without deleting anything.

Just curious what are the specs of your MacBook Pro? (Helps to know, year, processor, etc.)

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Yeah, go buy a copy and re-install.

There was nothing major going from 10.5 to 10.6 that would break things.

4. zoebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I guess my verbiage was wrong. We bought the CD and installed it. We didn't download it from a site.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. zoebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Specs

It's a MacBook Pro 5,1

2.4 ghz intel core duo

4gb 1067 MHz DDR3

----------

When I click on Safari I get an error message

"you can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OS X. You have Safari 5.0.6

I can't get on Internet to go to App Store.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Plug in an external HD, pull your data off it (your documents, pictures, anything you can't afford to lose but not applications!), and reformat.

Something has gone badly wrong, and you need to do an erase and install.

To do this boot from the DVD (put the DVD into the drive, reboot and hold down the C key), go to the utilities menu, select disk utility, then click on "Macintosh HD" or whatever your drive is called. click erase, and follow the instructions.

Once the disk has erased, quit disk utility, then install Snow Leopard.

When it's installed, go to the Apple menu and run software update.. Update everything until it registers no more updates. (You'll need about 2 restarts), then install your applications. Finally plug that external HD back in and put all of your data back.

Allow about 2 -3 hours for the whole process.