Just upgraded my HD...I have a question re: warranty service.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Summer2000, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Summer2000 macrumors member

Hi folks,
    I just got thru intalling a WD 320GB HD and 4GB SDRAM in my new MBP.
    Everything went smooth and the MBP still looks factory new.:)

I'm in the processing of installing OS X now. While I wait for it to finish I thought I'd ask you guys this question. If down the road my MBP ever needs service or repairs from Apple for something covered under the warranty, would I have to put back the original 250GB HD it came with before taking it to the Apple store or would it be ok to leave the 320GB drive in it? Assuming the problem is not hard drive related of course.

Same thing goes for the RAM...can I leave the 4GB sticks in there or do I have to swap them back with the original 2GB sticks?

Thanks,
    Summer2000

2. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I will like to know this too. What i've heard is that you can do those changes but if there is a problem b/c of those parts then they won't fix your laptop. Can any one confirm? I kinda want a 7200rpm drive or the 320gb drive.

-JoE

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

The way it works is pretty logical. If your user replaced parts go bad, in your case the HD and RAM, Apple will not warrant those items since Apple did not supply them. If your screen went bad, Apple will not blame your RAM or your HD. Same goes for any non related part. Now, if your MBP started to sketch out for some reason, it may be a good idea to put the RAM that came with the machine back in, techs are known for 'passing the buck' if you will, they could easily just blame 'your' RAM that you installed and say that it is the problem.

4. eyespii macrumors 6502

Given Apple's stance on self-upgrades to the HDD, I would definitely put the original drive back in before I sent it off for repair. You never know what kind of tech you'll get. They could easily state that the laptop is no longer under warranty because someone opened it and put a non-apple drive in it, even if the drive is not the source of the problem. If that happens, you're out not only your stock 1yr warranty, but also your pricey applecare as well. I think it's a too big of a risk for the extra 30 minutes or so it would take for you to swap the drives (and memory) back out again.

5. Summer2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice nikhsub1 and eyespii.

I will keep the old RAM in a safe place and not sell it as I had planned. The old hard drive will always be on hand because I've placed it in the external USB case the 320gb drive came in so I can use it as additional storage. Nice...:cool:

Summer2000

6. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

If you ever need repair work from Apple, you can always put back the original parts before getting it serviced to be on the safe side.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally...
    If my machine becomes faulty I'd definitely replace the HD to it's default unit. I never use the supplied unit as a general rule. Not only because of the warranty point of view, but due to personal privacy.

I think most users never think about this...

But...with the advancement of the internet and computing technology, we've started to do everything on our machines, this includes personal banking, mortgage repayments and purchases of new assets and who knows what else?

You might not know.. but near enough everything we do is stored somewhere, be it hidden cache partition or cache file... or written to some cookie or file... basically there's a digital footprint on your HD! Even when the data is securely erased by the OS, there are still the possibilities that some companies with the technology to recover years of data! Possibly on multiple layers of deleted data/history and that's scary, if you ask me.

The last thing you want is to send your machine back with all your personal data still on the drive... and say.. apple replaces the drive for some obscure reason.... Oops, now they have a copy of your digital life! You won't be any wiser cause your machine is working.. and your happy!

You might say I'm being overtly cautious.. but it could happen and when it does, it's too late! At the lightest you'll end up bankrupted, at worst, you'll end up serving time because you have some illegal content.. But that content could of been for a legit reason. Isn't it better just to avoid the possibility of it happening?