Just upgraded my MBP with an Apple Samsung 128 GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Salty Pirate, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

It totally rocks! Night and day fast.....now why the <supposed> crappy apple OEM drive?

1.7 firmware. I tried a Hitachi 320 7200 rpm disk and the computer would not see it upon boot. Wanted an SSD. I see the Intel X-25M G2s are at 600????

So, I needed an Apple disk so my MBP would see it. Found the 128 GB Sammy of ebay for 200 bucks.

Format, fresh Snow Leopard install, restore my data off my USB disk and man!!!!! So freaking fast. Insane fast. Noticeably faster. I had a 250 GB hitachi, the stock drive before.

So, when this SSD inevitably slows down, it will still be faster than the 5400 rpm drive, correct?

If it gets too slow, I just re-format and start over?

thx

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

AWESOME!!! That was a very smart move to install the Apple SSD, at least you know it's guaranteed to work with the 1.7 firmware and you got a great deal. I have the Apple SSD in my 13"MBP, I freakin' love it, it's very fast and read and write despite the naysayers here who've never used it.

3. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Because there are plenty of drives that beat the performance of Apple's SSD and they are most expensive.

As of right now the 80GB G2 is in stock at $379, and the 160GB are not in stock at $629.

First of all it will only slow down when writing new data, and yes it should be faster than any HDD out there

Don't waste time time formatting it, all you're doing is putting unecessary strain on the drive, just use it and you won't even notice any difference than when the day you got it.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The G2 Intel drive isn't even that expensive. My brother paid $489 for the 160GB model off Amazon a few days ago and it is better than the SSDs that Apple uses. But any SSD will be a huge improvement over a hard disk.

Newegg's price on the drive should drop sharply in the next couple of weeks once retailers start getting more stock.

How much was the 128 GB Samsung SSD that Apple uses?

5. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

yes, but will a MBP with all the 1.7 firmware issues even see the drive or get the beach ball issues?

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I have a 13MBP and have had a Scorpio Black, Blue & Intel X25 in my computer with no problems with any of the drives.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That has nothing to do with the SSD.

http://www.doodle.com/bmexq4f9c2xri5mz