just upgraded to 10.6.3; one of my apps needs Rosetta. Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Jun 12, 2010.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I just upgraded to 10.6.3. Everything seemed snappier after that, but when I opened an app I've kind of depended on over the years (to store passwords, etc.), it said it required Rosetta. So I clicked yes for Rosetta. Is it my imagination, or does having Rosetta on my computer slow things down and make some things (like Safari and mouse movement) a bit flaky?
    malch

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, as Rosetta s only used for PPC-only software, thus not used when no PCC software is running.

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply spinner.
    Just to check, though. If I've got Rosetta running in the background (for the sake of two apps that seem to need it), will it slow down my use of non-Rosetta apps?
    thanks, malch

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, unless the PPC applications need all the resources you have.

Example: You have a dual core CPU, which gives you 200% CPU usage (in Activity Monitor) and you have 95 processes running (my Mac currently does) and your PPC application(s) use(s) 150% (one or both combined) and the other processes still need to have access to more than 50% CPU usage. Thus the PPC applications slow down your computer.

Currently ma Mac runs 95 processes and 15 applications and the CPU is 10-15% used (out of 200%).

So maybe your application (Office 2004?) might need more than that, but you won't experience any grave slowdowns.

5. teaxcore macrumors newbie

is there a way to remove rosetta if i installed in on accident?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is Rosetta disturbing you somehow? Unless you do run PPC-only applications, Rosetta is not running.

But maybe these threads can help you.