Just upgraded to momentus 7200.4 but what now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zenor, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Zenor macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I just upgraded to a Seagate momentus 7200.4 500GB and 4GB of Crucial ram.
    I also cloned my old hitachi(5400 250GB) to the new HD, but I haven't noticed any difference in speed.

Are there any processes I need to follow? I have repaired permissions, cleaned user/system cache etc, but it's still the same.
    Could it be because I didn't clean install MacOSX?

Thanks in advance.

2. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

My MBP is faster and quieter w/ 7200.4 HDD

Got mine last week.
    No complaints, but I had to reopen the case to move the sticky ribbon cable off the pressure hole on the 7200.4
    Some say it doesn't matter, but with a new 500gb drive why chance it?

Even if the drive wasn't any quieter, the speed increase is nice.

:)

3. Zenor thread starter macrumors member

How could a sticker make a difference in speed?
    Could anyone confirm this?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Zenor thread starter macrumors member

Hello again. So, I bought this HD from a local store. Could someone tell me how I can determine which version I have, the old or the fixed one?

Also, is it a reason I don't see a big difference in speed that I didn't make a fresh OSX install, just cloned over?

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Without a stopwatch or benchmark it will be hard to notice any difference. It's normal.

You may want to run X-Bench, so you can be impressed with your transfer speeds.

7. Zenor thread starter macrumors member

Actually on disk test I get about 52(xbench). Don't remember the Hitachi score though.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

From all the reviews and data I have seen, you won't see much of an overall improvement over say a, Western Digital 5400 RPM, 500 Gig drive.

Honestly, if you were expecting to see a performance increase proportional to the platter speed increase you'd be disappointed.

If you had some benchmark test software as noted above, you could see some differences, but in actual use probably not.

This article has some good info .... http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/17010