Just want other users to see my External Hard Drive and nothing else

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cragga, Nov 18, 2014.

1. cragga macrumors newbie

Hi

I have my new 2014 iMac set up at work with a USB 2TB external hard drive connected. This is used as a work server with two other Macs that are connected to it, through my machine.

Basically I want to just share the external hard drive and nothing else on my Mac, but I can't seem to do it without everybody seeing my Mac and all it's files, including Music, Pics, Private Documents.

Can somebody show me, step by step, how the other Macs can just see the external hard drive that is connected to my Mac, and not my Mac's other folders, hard drive etc.

I am sure I have done it before, but can't remember at all.

Many Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

First of all, nobody can "see" files on your Mac unless they are logged in to your Mac. If another user on your network connects to your Mac and they don't provide a login, they are connected as "guest" and should only be able to see your "/users/shared" folder. If you are logged in on another Mac on your network with the same login and password you use on your own Mac, of course you can see all your own stuff. The true test is to create a test account on another computer and log in as that account and see what shows up being shared and visible from your Mac.

As for sharing an entire external drive, you can select it as a "folder" to share. It turns out the external drive looks like a folder to OSX so you can go to System Preferences under "Sharing" and "Folders To Share" then hit "+" and browse to the external drive you want to share. More here.