Just wanted to let you know about a nasty little file i encountered

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iAlexG, Oct 11, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I downloaded a torrent file off torrentreactor.net and what came with it i did not expect. It came with a file that had the extention .dmg.torrent.download
    I could not do anything with it. It was stuck on my desktop, i couldnt open it, get info, trash it or move it (even just to a different place on the desktop) so i tried using terminal to delete it but that didnt work and so i thought i would search the internet for help. When i came up empty handed i thought "hmmm... a simple restart?" so i clicked on shut down and nothing happened? this file was preventing me from shutting down!!! it just kept playing that bad noise like a "errrrrr" so i was getting really worried at this point. Thinking Oh My God!!!! I cant just walk into the apple store and say "ive got a torrent file of some software and i cant get rid of it"
    So i held the power button praying.
    When my mac restarted the file was gone!! Yippeeee
    Thank God!!!
    I will never download a torrent again!!! Such a relief!!!

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah right, keep telling yourself that. :p

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

just like a bad trip on shrooms, you might swear them off for a bit... but you'll be back.

4. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

that was the first torrent file i downloaded in about 4 months. I went of them last time because of a virus on my PC. I have had many problems with torrents in the past and i am sure that i will be able to resist the urge this time. my mac cost a lot so i dont want to harm it.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What about your integrity?

I only know this about torrents; "torrent" is a dirty word in some circles, although some torrents are legitimate. I've never even looked for one, much less have any idea why I would want to.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some basic tips for downloading torrents:

- Look at comments of the torrent, amount of seeders, downloaders and downloads; this usually gives you the idea can you trust it
    - Most torrent apps lets you decide what files to download if it has many (like an album), choose only the ones you want and trust
    - If you're looking for software, check if there's a legal trial available in authors site
    - DON'T install any .pkg or .dmg files if you don't know what they are

Most torrents are clean and safe but I always keep my eye on what I download :cool:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perhaps your decision to never download a torrent in the future is the best one, at least until you learn enough to know what you're doing. The dmg.torrent.download file was probably a temporary file created while the torrent was still downloading. You probably had difficulty deleting it because it was still in use by your torrent client. However, it did NOT prevent you from shutting down or "do" anything to your system. You probably still had the torrent client running, so the shut down process was waiting for the app to terminate before shut down could proceed.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What's today? International pirating fail day?

Yeah.

9. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

That's probably it. I can't shutdown my computer either when utorrent still is open, uTorrent takes too long too shutdown. So nothing wrong with that torrent.