Just Wanted To Verify: SuperDuper is Mac's Equivalent of Norton Ghost?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmFightSpam, May 9, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Coming from Windows land, the two most popular OS image solutions to me were Norton Ghost and, if you are WIndows VIsta, its built in imaging software.

I just wanted to verify that SuperDuper is the Mac equivalent of Ghost. Is that true? It backs up the entire OS X image and can be restored as such if my MBP internal hard drive failed, right?

Are there other solutions?

Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, you are correct - but unlike the Windows solutions you can actually boot the Mac from the backup then do the clone process in reverse to restore. It's pretty darn cool if you ask me. :D

EDIT: Carbon Copy Cloner is another program that can do this sort of thing, and unlike SuperDuper you don't have to pay to unlock its full feature set.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Agreed.

SuperDuper! != Ghost.

That being said, for those without access to Mac OS X Server and the resources for NetInstall, then SuperDuper! cloning would be my choice.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Carbon Copy Cloner is my choice. Something about the SuperDuper interface bothers me.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Now, here is the reverse question, I know that Ghost and CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper!) are not quite the same, but is there anything on Windows that works like CCC? Letting me clone just a partition?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Ghost is multifunctional in that you can clone and do netrestore/imaging.

The OPs requirement sounds like cloning to me, and in this case SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner will both serve his needs, and IHMO work better than Ghost in this regard.

Additionally, to back up a Windows partition that is formated via NTFS, you can use WinClone on the Mac side to back up the NTFS partition.