Just watched the iPhone intro at 2007 WWDC..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigert07, Jul 25, 2012.

1. tigert07 macrumors regular

I watched the 2007 WWDC keynote where Steve introduced the iPhone and got excited all over again. The iPhone did (and does) simple tasks well, that other phones simply do not. I think that we're all getting angsty waiting for the next iPhone and apples next revolution, that we ignore just what was built over the last five years. Steve says he built a phone and OS that was five years ahead of the competition. They created a phone with few buttons and not a confusing interface. I expect this generation iPhone to up the anty once again.

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

In 2007, the iPhone did "simple tasks well, that other phones simply do not." But being that you're speaking in the present tense, please tell me what "simple tasks" you're referring to. It's not 2007 anymore.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

doing the simple task well is the main reason i stick with iphones...tried the android and it seems like that is where it struggles.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Everything.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

a default email app that is worth using. A keyboard that actually works good (you can make a mistake and easily navigate to that single letter or word and change it), syncing with other devices, visual voicemail. Small things that are a pain in the ass on other devices

6. cperchard macrumors 6502a

a touch screen ipod.....a phone.....an internet communicator.....an ipod....a phone.....are you getting it?? :D

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I remember being completely blown away when watching the first iPhone reveal.

There was nothing like it, and when SJ said it was 5 years ahead, he wasn't kidding.

8. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Except for all the other smart phones that were even better at the time, like run 3rd party apps, have 3G, microSD storage, camera with flash, notification lights, etc. Yes, it gave us multi-touch, which was very cool (although most smartphones were touch screens at the time, just not as smooth). Simple - yes, because there wasn't much you could do with it except play a limited amount of songs (storage limitations), cruise the internet VERY slowly (2G speeds and no flash), take crappy pictures (less res, no flash), and get a lot of drop-outs as a phone (AT&T). It was only with the iPhone 3G that some of these issues worked themelves out.

Simple is not necessarily good. My dumb phones were simple, but they couldn't DO anything.

You guys have VERY short memories. :p

9. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

The iPhone sux and Android rulz cuz it has widgets!! And it's OPEN, so don't forget it. :)

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In reality, iPhone on 2G was actually better than those phones with "more features" on 3G.

Why? Multi-touch zoom, Safari (shows whole web pages, not crippled pages), better email, features that don't need a 200 page manual to figure out, etc.

Someone obviously has short memories about how bad the other phones were in 2007.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I disagree. I'd been looking at smart phones from 2005 to 2007 and among all the choices I always chose a dumb Noika candy bar over all of them.

Let that sink in: In the smart phone market I always chose NOTHING over anything.

The iPhone was the first hand-held computer that delivered what it promised: Something that was more like a mini Mac than a blown up cell phone.

12. Tones2, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

Tones2 macrumors 65816

Dudes - I actually OWNED many smart phones prior to the foirst iPhone coming out. Unless you actually USED them for extended period of times, you can't really judge. I would not have taken 10 steps back to go three steps forward at the time. Not being able to run 3rd party apps ALONE was enough for me to stay away from the original iPhone, but there were many many other things.

It did NOT take a rocket scientist to figure out smart phones prior to the iPhone. It was just more menu driven, like a SIMPLIFIED PC, with a file system and custom menus, similar to the structure of Android today. I actually like that better, but that's personal preference. And no you didn't need a manual to figure it out, unless you never used a PC before. (Jeez).

Multi-touch WAS cool, but that was it. But other phones would have refined their touch interface with or without Apple within the year. Apple just did THAT first, but almost nothing else about the smartphone did they invent or innovate, except MARKETING appeal, of course.

Apple's MAIN innovation came later with the refinemens to the ecosystem, with easy developer tools, am app store, and integrated envirponment. That's the main reason I switched over when the iPhone 3G came out. No one else hd anything like that and it's JUST now strting to happen. That's the seller point for Apple and continues to be.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Name a phone specificially because I am really interested.

14. Tones2 macrumors 65816

HTC Tilt, amongst many others, primarily by HTC at the time.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Within the year? What are you basing that on?

Do you know what RIM did about touch-screens for the first 6 months after the iPhone demo? They told themselves that it wasn't possible. They were convinced that the iPhone would have less than 6 hours battery life and thus wasn't something they had to worry about. It wasn't until the iPhone came out that they realized they had to do something.

Does that sound like a company who was going to perfect a touch interface within a year?

And let's not forget the Blackberry inspired Android prototype. Did that look like a company that was going to perfect multitouch within a year? Yeah, they turned things around real quick, but what would have caused them to move so quickly had there been no iPhone?

I'd really love to know who, exactly, you thought would have had a phone like the iPhone by summer of 2008 had they not been kicked in the butt. I'm not coming up with anyone.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

As a person who owned the HTC Touchpro, which is basically the same phone, it was damn horrible, and if I could go back in time, I would choose the iPhone all day every day.

17. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

A lot of iPhone haters up in here. Why are you guys here?

It's like going to church and walking around telling everyone there is no God.

I don't care that you hate the iPhone, but it concerns me that you took time to join a forum to preach that.

Fact: the iPhone revolutionized smart phones. No ifs ands or buts. Without the iPhone, phones wouldn't be where they are. Get. Over. It.

18. Tones2 macrumors 65816

HTC - they were the king of smartphone at the time. They had a touch interface ALREADY for several years, which kept getting better. There's no reason to think that would not have continued.

Blackberry's were business phones, that's NOT at all what I'm talking about. They always sucked as consumer media devices. :)

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

All I remember is that at the time the Sony Ericssons were the only things that came close to tempting me. Not enough to actually work, of course, but they were always the top of my list.

EDIT: Looking at the good old 'iSync compatibility list' it looks like HTC was never part of that party, which may have been something that turned me away from them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2824?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

20. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

What iPhone haters? I just saw one guy who was bragging about his Droid having widgets, which I still don't see the point of and don't want them to be added to iOS 6.

21. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Are you not reading?

22. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I'd take an iPhone 1 over a Blackberry for business.

23. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Huh? Do you really think you were one of a few that had smart phones prior to the iPhone? Have you heard of the Blackberry? Palm Treo? Everyone with a job had a smartphone prior to the iPhone. We all have extensive experience with life prior to the iPhone. We can all judge the merits of the iPhone. People might not feel that the iPhone is revolutionary or even any good right now...but in 2007 it made the competition look as hopeless as they were. It organized the business and personal lives of people into a single device. It immediately put the mp3, pocket camera, PDA and dumb phones markets on notice.

24. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

No, I am not not reading. Maybe you're talking about those guys who just stated simple facts about the original iPhone having a bad camera and such. It's true; my Razr (best phone ever if you just want a phone) had a lot of features that the iPhone lacked.

25. alent1234 macrumors 603

who cares about flash when the camera is like 1mp and the photos suck?

long list of specs is useless if the specs don't work very well.

i tried android last year and the ms exchange was buggy and worse than iOS. and the phone wouldn't play pandora and spotify through my car's USB