just went for my first ever run with my Apple Watch Sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Uppercut05, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Uppercut05 macrumors regular

just a lazy 10km, but just realised I didn't take my iPhone out of my pocket once.

Amazing!!

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Is it just me or does the iPhone get really annoying in the pocket on a run? Constantly moving and feeling like it's about to fall out...

3. shanew212 macrumors member

Lazy 10k.

I just ran a 10k the other day after training and felt like I was going to die afterwards.

4. Uppercut05 thread starter macrumors regular

haha yeah, but I'm training for my first ever marathon which is in 3 weeks. I'm nuts

----------

I'm used to it. Always used it for gps and music. Wouldn't mind getting me some bluetooth headphones now though. Looking forward to when the watch learns my stride length though, for the option of leaving the phone at home.

Need a band with a gps chip really

5. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

6. Uppercut05 thread starter macrumors regular

haha, I only saw one person who noticed it, but he had a good old stickybeak

7. macsammich macrumors newbie

8. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

I need to know more about this, so initially it forces you to run with the phone and eventually it will show an option to only run with the Watch?

9. H3rman macrumors 6502

I don't think it forces you to, just that once it has figured out your stride it will be able to track your runs more accurately without the phone that it would do striaght out the box.

10. Uppercut05 thread starter macrumors regular

I've used mapmyrun for a few years now. I was really unsure whether to keep using that or the native one, in the end I ran both of them and it seemed ok. Not sure what that would do to battery over a longer run though. And then of course you have to turn them both off at the end. But I did get an award for using the Apple Fitness app, so that's something lol

----------

well, simply put, the watch doesn't have gps. So you don't need your phone, but if you want to measure distance, pace etc - everything you want to track as a runner - you need the phone.

However, the watch does learn the length of your stride after a few weeks (?) and that means it can make a pretty accurate estimate of how far you've run. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be ok I reckon. I'll be interested to see.

Once again, why they didn't just put a gps in there. Battery life again I imagine

11. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Grab a fit belt on Amazon. Best thing ever for running with an iphone 6 plus. Also have Bluetooth in ears. Just need the watch so I don't need to take out the phone to see distance and pace!!!

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

13. Uppercut05 thread starter macrumors regular

you're a legend, not sure why I have never looked into this. Since I read your post I've checked out Flip Belt and purchased one. Now that we have the watch it's just perfect.

Cheers!!

----------

haha not quite an ultrarunner yet! Looking forward to this marathon though, mixed with a little trepidition

14. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

Out of context, I read that as the watch forcing you to run the with the phone.

"Run with your phone." [cocks gun] "I said run... Punk."

15. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

If I had any ability, I'd build a set of bluetooth headphones with a GPS chip. That would take care of two needs at once!

Glad to hear some positive feedback on the watch with running. I'm trying to get my mom into running, so I signed us up for a 5k on Saturday; was hoping to be able to use the watch, but I'm still in processing. Gotta keep using the Pebble!

16. mechasquid macrumors member

mechasquid

Do you think you'll always have to start both the native exercise app alongside your third-party running app for the watch to recognise that you've done a run, and also award you with achievements/ring completion?

17. shahin90 macrumors regular

It's super annoying to me. I can't run with anything on me as it distracts me and I run to relax my mind and workout. The apple watch would be perfect for me.

18. Uppercut05 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah I do, kind of annoyingly

19. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Just went out myself, a few points.

The native fitness app is really nice. I don't really use third party ones, so this is just enough for what I want. Something that bothers me though is that it changes the watch face while it's running - which in itself is no problem, but that watch face doesn't have glances, which kind of negates the point of having the Now Playing one because to control music while exercising you have to close the fitness then open the watch then open the glance. Unless I'm missing something lol.

Another thing I noticed, and I don't know if this is at all related to the fitness app at all, but while I was out I couldn't use Siri or dictation at all. The screens would load, I'd speak and it'd just hang there and do nothing. I thought maybe it was a Bluetooth/Wifi thing, so I turned off my Wifi while I was out (so it didn't click back on when I got home). I then tried dictation after I ended the run and it was okay again. Again, could be totally unrelated, but something I thought was a bit odd.

20. lunaumbrax macrumors newbie

Did you bring your phone with you...

21. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Yes lol. I was receiving texts on my Watch, just couldn't respond using dictation. It was odd.

22. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Also another observation, I went for an "outside walk" for almost an hour, and it only registered as seven minutes of exercise? Any reason? Was I not being "brisk" enough? Lol.

23. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I can't even DRIVE 10k without getting winded. :eek: