Just when you thought education was bad enough, Enter Dr Carson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 11, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yes the downward spiral can really get worse.
    http://www.iflscience.com/editors-b...nist-ben-carson-americas-secretary-education/

2. samcraig macrumors P6

He can advocate for whatever he wants - he won't get it :)

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Either way this cabinet will have some crackpots in it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016 ---
    Wow you might want to role that one back. I think you are thinking of the far right.

5. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope. Obama believes the strangest stuff.

6. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Did you forget about the evangelicals that support the Republican party? Maybe you should talk about the crazy stuff they believe. Hell, Bush said he used to talk to God...lol.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm an atheist, so I can point out the absurdity of criticizing what people of faith believe. What Carson believes is nuts. But so is what Obama believes.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Let's not get into a debate about Christianity. It has been my experience that many who claim "loudly" to be so are anything but.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Those evangelicals are delusional. They think they have morals while supporting Trump.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree with you, however Carson at the head of the education department is a whole different ball of wax as he'd be directly responsible for implementing educational policy. Anyone really want abstinence only sex ed?

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Of course they are delusional. Their principles mean absolutely nothing. And that's the joke. The portion of the country that blasts another portion of the country for not having "morals" is just as immoral. It is the height of hypocrisy.

If there is one good thing to come out of Trump being president is the religious right will have to **** forever. You got who you wanted. How would Jesus feel about that?

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yes, Conservatives want this more than anything. They will entirely strip their funding, no birth control and no preventative services at all, just pray for abstinence and there won't be any more abortions, see.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why do we have an Education Department, anyway? It was created by Jimmy Carter as a sop to the teacher's unions. It serves no useful purpose and the Republic operated just fine for 200 years without it.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Because states want to teach their own brand of education and there were not standards. The idea is to have a common curriculum.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well I mean, if whacko state X wants to teach exclusively that the jebus fella invented the USA why not right? Without the federal standards (and I'm NOT talking about the bulllshit that common core has been) I'd shutter to think how much further down the looney bin rabbit hole a state like Kansas or Texas would go.

Did you know that gravity is just really god hugging the earth and everything on it realllllly close?

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's not why Carter created the Department of Education.

Furthermore, you don't need a Cabinet-level agency and 4,000 bureaucrats to formulate any set of standards.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I'm all for letting the states decide on their education as long as they don't get federal funds meant to supplement the state's education fund. Their population is free to fund any crazy education ideas. Just don't make the rest of us pay for their crazy ideas.

18. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Not saying I agree. But he's not the only young earth creationist out there, and he's also not the only one to question the Big Bang theory. I thought the left were the ones all about religious freedoms? Now he's not qualified because of his beliefs?

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Great. A guy who thinks the Pyramids were built to store grain...heading the Department of Education.

We've stumbled into the Western B-movie where the town drunk gets elected sheriff.

20. Zenithal Suspended

Yep. It's called a "state syllabus." Each state, depending on grade level I believe, has a set guideline of what students must read or be taught during the year. I think teachers break it down to trimesters. Do they still do trimesters now? Or is it semesters? Anyway, the problem with this method is that a state like California would teach the necessary information without questioning the science, but also bringing in computer technology into the mix at the district level. A state like Mississippi would require such and such, but may also mix non-school material in or the books they'll use will be different than other states and so on. I'm pretty sure sex education is vastly different in this comparison too.

While I believe in state's rights, I do believe there should be a common core of principles in education reform simply so we don't have issues down the line. I'm almost certain the sex ed taught today, even in California, is much more neutered than what we learned and very compressed, because parents started meddling with the system.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The Republic operated just fine without electricity back in the day too.

Doesn't mean it would today.

22. 5684697 Suspended

And so is what you believe since as an atheist, you already know that there is no truth, no standards, and anyone can judge you according to whatever benchmark they choose.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016 ---
    No kidding. It's working out so great that we are importing engineering talent to try to keep up with the rest of the world.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Two words: Case Orange.;) It's so that we can have a President after the Cylons tries to wipe out humanity.:p:p:p President Adar = President Trump.:eek:

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Terrible analogy. Electricity improved people's lives. So did the polio vaccine. Since Carter established the Department of Education, however, the quality of education in American public schools has greatly declined.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Correlation doesnt imply causation.