Just Won A PowerBook G4 Titanium For £50 ($75)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

After watching a few PowerBooks and iBooks on eBay, I decided to buy the Titanium, I love the design on the Titaniums, the display is gorgeous, the keyboard is amazing, and I love slot loading drives on the front of Macs.... The one I ordered is the 800MHz model with 1gb RAM, a 40GB HDD and it's running Leopard. It's got your Airport Card, an the ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 with 32mb VRAM, I don't think that's a bad buy for 50 quid... I will use it just to watch movies, surf the net and play games like Call Of Duty 1 and Halo... I can't wait! :D

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Congratulations. It's only taken about 10 threads to get to this point :p

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Made me crack up hahahahahaha.

But Goftrey congrats on the PB, hope you enjoy using it.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Congrats on your purchase.

Out of respect for all of us that have helped you please don't start 10+ threads on new PowerBook questions you will have. You have a thread right here to ask questions to help you get started once you have it.

When will you have it?

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Easy on the kid, Zen.

Congratulations on your PB.

6. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thanks guys, sorry about the ridiculous numbers of threads I've been making... Me getting a bit carried away again... :D

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Probably just your way to start conversations and discussion on products you enjoy and love...

8. yamu macrumors newbie

Congrats, the PB Ti 800 is faster than it looks on paper. Very responsive UI in Tiger and can still be used as a desktop replacement. I recommend using a better harddrive, the original ones are a bit slow and the overall performance would be better. Very easy to install a harddrive. If Leopard is too slow for you, i know, the 800er TiBook is very fast under Tiger. I even had the impression (subjective) it is faster than the first Generation Alu Powerbooks (UI responsiveness). Maybe the L3 Cache. And don`t forget about all the Classic Game Gems, like Deus Ex you can play natively in OS 9.

9. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Congrats!

Looks like I joined the G4 PowerBook club as well. I just won a 12" 867MHz Aluminum one on eBay for $66. Guy says it's "Slow" and it may be a hardware issue. I think it's just the fact that it's still running 128 megs of RAM. Oh, and the Superdrive isn't working.

Heck... if I put some memory in it and a fresh install of OS X on it via target disk mode and it works... I'll definitely replace the drive (I know it's a nightmare) and keep it.

10. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, exactly! Once I get started on Macs I just can't stop! :D

----------

Congrats! Yeah, definitely bump up the RAM & OS X re-install... Just out of interest, can you stick Superdrives in the Titanium PowerBooks? How easy is it to do?

----------

Good to hear mate :) I was looking at some 867mhz Alu's as well so that gives me a bit a relief to hear that :p

11. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It's not the end of the world when you make all those threads. The point I and others make is that it saturates the forum and creates a lot of redundancy. It makes it seem like your goal is to have all the threads be about you.

It's encouraged and even part of the rules here to not make a separate thread for each different issue you have.

12. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Once again Zen, I'm sorry, I get excited, what can I say?

I've learnt my lesson though and have now got the hang of posting threads :p

13. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I'm not against you at all my young PowerPC friend. :)

Just trying to help you be a good forum member is all. You can be sure we all respect your passion for the hardware we all love also.

14. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Thanks! Appreciate it....

Slightly off topic, but I love your painted Sawtooth, it looks amazing! I know you've probably got this a million times off other people though... Maybe this is only me but I don't actually really like the design of the PowerMac G4's usually but yours looks stunning ;)

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, less of a nightmare if you have patience. I replaced the screen on my wife's 12" PB. Getting to that point meant taking everything out of the case including the logic board. If you're patient and work steadily it'll be fine. The hardest issue is getting the top case off.

@Gotfrey. Congratulations. The TiBook should last you quite awhile.

16. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Oh, I know. I looked on iFixit and saw the extreme complications of replacing it. Too bad it wasn't like the G3 PBs... just pull a lever and the drive just pops out.

17. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Thanks for the compliment. I tend to get at least 1 private msg a week from someone asking me how they can do the same. I just respond they need to be able to totally disassemble it inside and out, have a professional painting booth and access to car paint and a $5000 spray gun. :) What looks black is actually a super dark brown with a slight metalic. It's actually one of the old Ford colours.

As for the G4 tower appearance.. I love how they look and have 2 unpainted. One is the 1.0GHz in my sig and the other is a fully working 400MHz that I don't use at all and have for future part needs.

A computers appearance should never be higher than the 2nd most important reason for getting it. It first and foremost needs to be a computer. A pretty case (at least to personal perspective) doesn't get the job done. It's the parts inside that matter most.

18. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You're going to love it! TiBooks are my favorite Apple laptop (thats why I have 2) and if you're careful with them they'll last. Someone already mentioned how fast they are and you'll be surprised. They really are much quicker than the specs make them out to be and the way the screen goes right to the edge of the display case is awesome.

19. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Nice! I think the PowerMac G4's are great machines, don't get me wrong... Maybe one day I'll have one myself! :p

----------

Thanks! I'm sure I will love it :D
    I said in my OP that I love the screen, I remember Steve quoting in the keynote that 'the bezel is so thin you'll be afraid the cursor's just gonna' fly off!'

They're my favourite Apple design as well! :p

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am happy for you Goftrey with your first PB instead of iBook!! I think I will look for a PB off ebay again. :D

21. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Just came through the post today! It actually runs a lot better than my 1 GHz eMac... And the keyboard is just gorgeous!

22. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Awesome! Which OS?

23. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

They're both running Leopard 10.5.8. It'll only be a fair comparison when my eMac has 1gb RAM but I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance of it. Even though the eMac has the Radeon 7500 and the PowerBook has Mobility Radeon 7500 I'm getting better frame rate on halo on the Powerbook than the eMac! I'm chuffed with it, I'll probably stick a 120gb hard drive in there one day as well... It runs pretty loud, the CPU fan is spinning like mad in there but hey? What d'you expect. I'll do benchmarks on them tomorrow :D