Just wondering if anyone has does this and if so with what results...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm wondering if you've ever made your computer (Windows or Mac) play chess against itself.

I have pitted my 2 GHz mid-'07 Mac mini against itself in a regular match of chess, with the difficulty set at maximum. There have only been ten or so moves in almost two hours. The CPU history shows around 75-85% of each core being used at any time (total of 150-170%). The temperature is 89C (192F) with the fans at 1900 or so RPM; I think I'll kick it up to 5500 RPM.

If you've done this before, I'm interested to see if you've ever witnesses a check mate. If so, how long did it take?

Another thing I've been wondering is why has chess been the ultimate game? People make computers to play chess, but not Monopoly (now that would be an interesting one; it could probably be done with some Excel work) or something similar.

I was going to have my 2.33 GHz Core 2 Quad-powered Studio 540 take on this task because:

a. I don't use it too often and
    b. It blows my Mac mini away in every respect.

But the problem is Chess Titans (the Windows chess program) won't do computer vs. computer. So do you know of any free Windows software that will allow for a computer to play itself? Better yet, is there any software (Mac or Windows, even Linux) that will let a computer play another over a network or with a direct connection to each other?

Maybe we could have a few repliers to this thread take this challenge and time your computer and see how it stacks up against others.

If the match doesn't finish by 10 PM or so, I'll start it over after school tomorrow so I can get an exact time. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can get a stopwatch app for my Mac?

Thanks.

2. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Do you need two computers to get it to play chess against itself?

3. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

No. It's an option when you start an new game. Command+N and pick from the "Players" menu.

4. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I think I'll try this tonight. Computer in sig

Just as a side note. 89 is WAY too hot. Make those fans whip. Thats a serious hazard to your system...

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah that chess engine really works the CPU. I guess its calculated a bajillion possible moves per second. my CPU jumped to 65 and fans reacted according. Only one move each thus far since 15 mins

6. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

With the settings slider in the middle... They drew after 16 mins

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

2 hours later with my CPU at 93%

Still 3/4 pieces left. No distinct advantages yet.

8. johnselmos, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  9. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The game finished over night I guess in 60 moves.

I'm going to redo it now and see how long it takes. After I find a stopwatch; real or software.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

11. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Computer v. Computer was using up to 100.6% of my cpu.

Edit: That's on a Macbook Pro 2.2ghz (June 2007)

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I did it a few times on an old Packard Bell, in the 90s. I forget which chess game it was, but it always ended in a draw. I never sat around for an entire match. It would start off fast, then hang for as long as an hour until the next move. Pretty cool seeing the computer work so hard trying to outsmart itself.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I've done this before it's great for testing a CPU

14. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake