Justice Anthony Kennedy May Retire This Summer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 9, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah he's gonna get about 250 democrats on his door step telling him to hold out till at least 2019.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Well if he does I hope the Democrats are willing to play the GOP’s game and make them wait until after the next election to fill the seat.

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I agree, but the Democrats have no way to block or meaningfully delay a confirmation, unless they can convince two Republicans (one if McCain isn’t available) to join their effort.

5. IWantItThatWay Suspended

If Kennedy steps down before the election I would be OK with waiting til after the election to confirm a new justice.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They have to win back the Senate in order for that to happen.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

Interesting. Yes, hold out until he next Presidential election. Each President should get only one person as far as I'm concerned. And at the rate we're going at their ages, it'll work out just fine for the next 3-4 elections. I also see he's not a real Kennedy. Makes sense considering he's still alive. Too soon? :p

8. 0007776 Suspended

There might be one or two Republicans that actually believed their lines about letting the voters decide who gets to nominate the justice.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2018 ---
    True, but that may not be too hard for them with how things are going. There are three GOP senators retiring, Romney will probably win Utah, but Arizona and Tennessee might work. Arizona could have two open seats as well depending on what happens with McCain. Texas looks like a possibility for a pick up as well and Ted Cruz isn’t greatly loved by Trump’s base. Mississippi has two seats up for election and given what happened in Alabama I wouldn’t rule out a Democratic win in one of them.

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I just clicked through to read the article and now see that the only source on this is speculation from Dean Heller. The possibility of a Supreme Court vacancy is just what he needs to drum up support in an uphill Senate re-election race. Kennedy has already hired clerks for next year which means he doesn’t current expect to retire. He still might retire, but it’s highly unlikely that Heller would know. I call BS on this report.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Good lord, these *******s have been pushing for Kennedy’s retirement by floating these stories since well into last year. It’s extremely transparent that the Koch’s and Mercer want their feudalist project to be completed and constantly pressuring Kennedy to step down via these rumors is pathetically transparent.

11. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

I think it's unlikely that Justice Kennedy retires before the next term, which will start in October. He's already hired four clerks for the October 2018 term. A Justice planning to retire typically wouldn't hire more than one clerk for an upcoming term. Retired Justices get one clerk.

Of course, things can change. People can get sick, for instance. But I'd say that, as of January of this year, Justice Kennedy wasn't planning on retiring this year.

12. appleisking macrumors 6502a

And if he does I fully expect Mitch Turtle to allow the American people to decide in the next election who gets to pick his replacement. I could never imagine Mitch being a hypocrite or a political hack after all.

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Can somebody wake up Ginsberg and ask her for her date?

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

The problem with pointing out hypocrisy in the GOP is their entire way of speaking to their base is completely hypocritical to their policies. You can’t shame a party built explicitly on lying outright.

15. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

She'll retire the day after the thieving sex-pest con merchant in the White House gets replaced by a Democrat IMO.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If it's within a year of someone else being president I'd agree it would be fair to wait. If it happens in the next year good luck.

17. 0007776 Suspended

Trump already filed for reelection the campaign has started.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's not a parallel argument, Obama was trying to seat a moderate judge in place of one of the most right leaning within a year of the opposing party taking power.

19. 0007776 Suspended

That is not the argument made at the time by Congress.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Which was, of course, his constitutional right and responsibility. But the Republican Senate majority, for the first time in American history, refused to fulfill their constitutional responsibility.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We will see how tempered your reaction is if Ruth kicks the bucket and Trump tries to replace her within a year of the election with a right leaning judge.

22. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

My reaction won’t be tempered at all. Retribution for the Republican theft of the Garland seat is entirely appropriate. The Democrats, if they have the ability to do so, should block every Trump nominee that isn’t Merrick Garland.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

They can't.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2018 ---
    I actually agree. He should have been given a hearing. They could still voted NO, but he should have gotten a hearing.

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

God Bless America.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hypocritical.