Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 18, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bravo. Now we need to get the states to do the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-1140am:homepage/story&utm_term=.64311c796fba

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh....so what happens to the contracts that had 20+ year guarantees in them? They just won't be renewed at that point....except a whole different administration will be in place at that time.

My guess is this will end up being a reshuffling of ownership so that technically the federal government won't have any private prisons.

There is far too much money in slave, oh excuse me, "prison labor" for the Microsofts, and defense contractors for this country to ever end the practice. Hell, many of the firefighters battling wildfires out west are actually prison labor as well (not forcibly of course).

http://theweek.com/articles/630907/corporate-america-secret-slave-labor-force

3. samcraig macrumors P6

I wonder how this will affect the new season of Orange is the New Black

4. yaxomoxay, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I'm curious if conservatives will try and spin this.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Private prisons are fine. The government just needs to equip all women's prison showers with high-def IP cameras routed to the global internet. That way, we can ensure everyone is treated fair. Crowd-sourced supervision, it's the future.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think that we can move this plan to the next legislative level...

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can I call you Beecher? :D

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Like you indicated, it is not leftist, nor is it rightist. It is a concept. People are free to agree or disagree.

To my current understanding, government is about governing people, or corrections accordingly. Private industry is pretty much defined as profiteering for itself. Privately ran prisons can come close to taking the worst of both worlds and is it a pragmatic issue, or an ethical one, that one company or one person should be allowed to profit from the work of criminals, as opposed to the entire society?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Exactly, I see it like you on this. Prisons are part of the social contract between the people and the government. We allow the government to remove freedom to some individuals for the greater good. I don't see how a private entity can enter in this relationship, even if it can provide a better service.

13. FieldingMellish, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  14. Zenithal Suspended

This is at the federal level, but it's a good start.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

People get too wrapped up in classifications like this. Politicians who market themselves as conservatives tend to take a "tough on crime" attitude. Many favor privatization wherever possible. I think the reasons for handing incarceration in a certain way are much more important than the underlying ideology.

Private prisons tend to have things like occupancy quotas in their contracts. They have been known to bribe judges as well. The contractual terms tend to be vulnerable to corruption. Obviously that one was a famous case. It's the one I had in mind when I googled for it, and it just happened to come up near the top of the search.

I may look through that breitbart link later. I glanced at it, and it sounds like all of the rest of their articles. Whenever I examine their references or what they're reporting on, it never seems to justify the level of sanctimonious outrage displayed in them.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

17. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Once again, your reply has zero to do with the conversation. Do you or don't you support private prisons and why or why not?

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I do.

19. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not good enough.

Congress should be passing a law explicitly banning private prisons. It's nothing more than profit-driven slavery.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Contractors =

1) Lowering standards to save money. At their worst, to give financial windfalls to contractor friends while reducing the quality of product and services, to lower the cost of labor and save $.

2) Paying obscenely bloated prices for machines of war that frequently don't work, don't work well.

3) Private enterprises maybe able to to take us into space in a more efficient and cost efficient manner, but I don't think they have the physical abilty to do what the Space Shuttle did at a discount price and the Shuttle was obscenely expensive.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I want to see the fine print on how the government is divesting from private prisons. Somewhere, somehow, someone is getting paid millions for this move.

The president doesn't just get policy epiphanies of good conscience. Palms are politicians are always getting greased.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know you're joking, but are you familiar with the concept of the panopticon?

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I had no idea of that concept. Very fascinating, thank you

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In concept it sounds like a workable idea, the problem is that we know people (subconsciously) operate differently when they are being watched. The idea that we should all be under some type of surveillance for the sake of safety and accountability is ALSO the perfect mechanism for mass oppression. The kicker? It would be the people participating in their own oppression without realizing it! It'd be the prison of the mind, done at the subconscious level.