Justice was served, but I'm sure many think the sentence in too light.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Feb 10, 2016.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

http://madamenoire.com/612527/judge...s-former-officer-who-brutally-beat-black-man/

As to why this wasn't a hate crime is beyond me.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Is this the right link? The link you provided covers everything but the actual sentence.

3. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

A little bit after the 20:00 mark at the ending of the linked video.

4. Strider64 macrumors 6502

Strider64

I don't think it's too light, I think it's a strange sentence. No less than 13 months to 10 years max is a broad range, it probably depends on how well behaved Mr. Melendez is while serving his sentence. By the way Inkster is a very rough City, it's even worse than Detroit in my opinion. It's still no excuse for what Melendez did.

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

I think the fact that they purposely left him in a cell with injuries and didn't get medical attention right way, should have been a cause of a higher minimum.

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I don't know if it was a hate crime, but should have been more in line with a capital crime. There should be mandatory minimum sentences for police who commit this type of crime. A 1 year sentence would be a good for all the police who just looked and did nothing.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I was wondering the same thing too, and actually had some questions on this because it did seem kind of unusual as well. Here's a bit more background on this, as the incident occurred last year:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...les-suit-with-city-of-inkster-for-1-4-million

What we saw was the sentencing from the criminal charges brought onto Melendez and Zieleniewski, as the charges were dropped against Dent and subsequently filed against the officers. Dent's settlement came from the civil suit that was filed. I'm rather surprised that the DoJ didn't get involved with this incident, either with criminal or civil charges against them.

I will say that with the racial epithets being thrown around, that does bring the spotlight of hate crimes down on this. Racial slurs, singling out a single race in their actions; that matches two of the signs of one.

BL.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

We should bring public hanging back.

(I don't really think that, but this s*** pisses me off)

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ugh, don't tell me that....I drive through it frequently. Thought I was a genius for finding that route from my client's office in Dearborn to DTW in the middle of rush hour when Southfield and I-94 are parking lots.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's probably why ;).

11. DUCKofD3ATH, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Seriously? You still didn't provide the verdict? What, is there a punchline on the video that would have been spoiled?

12. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

Are you deaf? She clearly sentenced the guy. Damn, you just wanna argue just to argue.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope. Sorry if I gave that impression, I wanted to know what the verdict was because I don't have access to video here.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most assault and batteries get at most 2yrs (felony), the fact that he got up to 10yrs potentially is already steep.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

So you tried to kick off an argument by saying its not in the video?

And then admit that its actually because you can't watch the video?

Seriously?

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Truly shocking the police officers should behave like that.

I'm struck by two things:

Firstly, that - in any way imaginable - police officers could think that what they were doing was acceptable behavior. What happened during their training; their interactions with other officers; their orders from their superiors; and their experience on the job made them think they could do what they did and get away with it?

The other is that despite hundreds, if not thousands, of cases similar to this, there are people in this country who are in denial over the issue of police violence. You hear them on Fox News and conservative talk radio. You hear from police union officials and senior law enforcement officers - people claiming that any protest, and word of rebuke from the President, etc. - is somehow equivalent to an attack on law enforcement.

I'm quite sure that most cops are decent; law abiding people. People who are mostly likely shocked and ashamed by the actions of their "brother" officers. But as long as the broader law enforcement community tolerate; cover-up; and deny this sort of criminality within their ranks - they are, IMHO, guilty by association.

Time for US law enforcement - in many ways among the most professional in the world - to man up and put an end to this sort of abuse.

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I think most people think that, but I don't. I bet most Police officers would turn a blind eye to this. I do agree that there has to be a fundamental change to law enforcement in the USA and to a lesser extent in Canada. Better training, better screening, better oversight and stiffer penalties would be a good first start. I think they should give a police office a 100K bonus for arresting a police officer that leads to a conviction (arrest would have to happen after the crime). In that video any officer who saw what happened in it's entirety should have arrested both of those officer as soon as the altercation was over.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Agreed, I think that cops who abuse their authority in this manner should receive elevated hate crime charges but I would also go a step further and charge any of the cops who witnessed the crime and didn't report it with the same charges as the perpetrator. DAs should come down as heavy if not more on corrupt cops as they do on everyday criminals. As an example, if you participate in a crime and someone dies during that crime, everyone involved is charged with murder regardless of who did the actual killing. We need to take the same heavy handed approach to eradicate from the police force the corrupt cops and those who enable the corrupt cops.

20. BoxerGT2.5, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The "stick together" mentality is the fundamental principle of unions, like it or not.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2016 ---
    As long as the same sentencing guidelines apply to the citizens I'm all for it. You and your friends are at a bar and your buddy gets into an altercation and kills the guy, you get rung up on murder charges just the same for not stopping him.

I am not a fan of singling out any group for stiffer penalties and/or sentence enhancements. They are idiotic and I don't think we should be picking and choosing which groups to penalize more.

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well first, we are not even holding police to the same standard as regular citizens. And second, the fact that we grant police officers the authority to act on behalf of the citizens and they are sworn to protect and serve "all" citizens, it is particularly heinous when they prey on and abuse citizens. Therefore, they should be held to a higher standard than everyday citizens. The same concept already applies to our military personnel, when they cross the line they are not charged as citizens.