Justifying iPhone 5 Purchase, Just me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeM87, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

So as the title says I'm trying to justify purchasing the iPhone 5, obviously this is ultimately down to myself I just wanted to see if anyone else has the same predicament and what their decision is.

I have an iPhone 4s currently running iOS6 GM which runs great! I've not noticed any problems in terms of speed and love the new features iOS6 has to offer.

The reason I am having a hard time justifying it is due to a few reasons which I have outlined below.

1. The features dont seem to offer much more over the 4s
    (Phone is only a year old so should I be expecting more)

2. The design looks the same apart from the back of the phone
    (Ok it is a good design but it has been around for 2years now)

3. What new features are offered that the 4s does not have?
    (Camera not really improved, faster processor = will this be noticed in terms of Facebook, Twitter, Browser, Videos?)

Who else feels the same? My contract is due to be renewed so I am tempted to sell my iPhone 4s and take the iPhone 5 out on a new contract.

Would it be best to sell the iPhone 4s now and get the 5 or keep hold of the iPhone 4s and wait until the next gen for a more features and possibly a different design who knows.

Thanks for any input

Mike.

2. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Hi Mike

If you can get the iPhone 5 on contract buy it and sell your iPhone 4S you sould be ale to get about $350 for a locked mint condition phone. It will pay for your new iPhone and you will have cash left.

Take the extra cash put it an envelope and tag it for the iPhone 6 then over the next year skip buying a coffee on the way to work and put the $2.00 In the envelope by the time the IPhone 6 is released you will have saved enough to
    Pay for the new version. Then repeat for version 7 You will be able to have a new phone every year.

It is amazing how fast you can save the cost difference between selling the old phone and buying a new phone

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I pretty much agree. The game changer is LTE and if you don't have it in your area you lose out of the biggest upgrade, I don't have it. I wasn't going to get a 5 but ended up ordering one since it's likely the last subsidized phone I'll be able to get.

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I think the 5 is definitely worth the upgrade. Based on the geekbench scores, the 5 has as score of 1601 and the 4s has a score of around 650 so the performance difference is very significant. The screen is bigger which is also a big deal. Took 5 years to get that!. The speaker, microphones are also much better as well as many other things. The next one will be the 5s so my opinion is get the 5 because if you are waiting for a major redesign, you'll have to wait 2 years.

The 4s is a good phone but the 5 is a much better phone from what it looks like. You only live once so get the 5 and remember, your iphone will be the most used thing you own so make it worth it and get the 5. I have owned the 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and now the 5 simply by selling the previous one, adding a little cash and getting the new one. For example, I sold my 4s 16gb around the 3rd of this month for $400 net and it only cost me an extra $85 to preorder the 5. That's what I do every year but since you are due for a full upgrade, even better!. Do it. Good luck.

5. charliecc macrumors regular

No, no, you're looking at it wrong. You're an iPhone user, you are not capable of this kind of rationality. You're buying it because Apple make you think you need it and it's shiny and new. For heaven's sake, do not start to question why, if that happens the whole thing will come tumbling down.

If I was you, I'd watch your back, Apple probably has agents on you right now. Your only hope is delete this post, buy the new iPhone and all subsequent ones. Glad I could be of assistance.