JustSayNoDeal.com - The Still Disaffected Supporters of Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.justsaynodeal.com/

White hot anger. A list of greviances. Disgust and frustration. With the animal symbol of the PUMA, they have coalesced to form their army of the unwilling.

I was reading an article on AZCentral when I saw this site:
    Clinton diehards remain unreconciled to Obama
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/27/20080627clinton-diehards0627-ON.html
    Tough crowd to be sure. You have to wonder if ANY successful challenger who ran against Clinton would have survived the sincere affection and dedication that many of Hillary's supporters have built up. There's certainly ample fodder for hating Obama and seeing him as a vessel for everything that's wrong with the Democratic party or even America.

Recently Nadar tried to tap that same vein of irritation by suggesting the meme that Obama is tapping into "white guilt", a riff on Limbaugh's borrowed lyricisms over the "magic negro" concept bandied about by a sociologist and reawakened into the public sphere in a 2007 opinion-editorial in the LA Times.
    I remember taking a self-help course once, and having the speaker tell us that the desire not to feel taken advantage of, is one of the strongest emotions we have. When tapped effectively, it can cause people to not act in there own interests, and instead construct an alternate reality in which their own empty rationalizations serve as an adequate substitute for an otherwise desirable result.

I've often found myself arguing principle over practicality. Regardless of which you choose (if you can't have both), it is a road laced with good intentions, regardless of the destination. Should you steal to help a dying man? Should you withhold medical assistance to the man who tried to rob you? Can you vote for the candidate that defeated your preferred choice, or should you vote for the opponent of a mutual enemy as a means of wreckless protest or Pyrrhic victory?

It's pretty clear that with a good number of Clinton supporters, very negative characterisations of Obama have taken hold. Perhaps more than negative characterisations of Clinton with Obama supporters. The cycle of vilification has begun in earnest with McCain. After the election, we will have a newly minted president with a built-in throng of detractors ready to go.

~ CB

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Here's a lovely excerpt from a supporter of JustSayNoDeal.com writing in, as displayed prominently on the home page:

Great. Talk about putting your best foot forward. I'm glad to see this website is harnessing such positive, constructive energy for its historic purpose. :rolleyes:

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Wow. I think this says it all (found on the Just Say No Deal Homepage):

What's most sad/funny, is that the sentence right before this race-hatred rant begins is this sentence:
    So, it's a big media conspiracy hatched by "professional blacks" and the white journalists are scared into supporting Obama? What kind of nonsense is this, and why does anybody take these people seriously? Obama is much better off not courting these types of voters.

EDIT: themadchemist beat me to it.

Their "philosophy" is ridiculous as well:

Never mind the fact that the Democratic party DID uphold democratic principles. Hillary did a whole lot of damage with her framing the FL/MI debacle as some sort of civil rights issue. But I imagine that even if she didn't, these closet racists would still have found some excuse to oppose Obama.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Haha, it seems that we were offended at pretty much the exact same time by the exact same drivel on that site. Hopefully, that'll drive home the point that this is garbage. I think even stevento, whose support for Clinton might be described as monomaniacal, would find this beyond offensive.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I hope most people would find this offensive. I've taken a look at some of those linked websites, and almost all of them make issue of Obama's race or prominently display his middle name as to suggest he is a "secret Muslim" and their "philosophies" are almost always bumper sticker slogans.

It's too bad for these people, and great for the rest of us, that Obama is doing very well in the polls without their support.

6. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    One of the other repeated stories having attention brought to it (other than the FL/MI thing), is Obama's first run for office in the state senate... where Obama made sure he was the only person on the ballot. CNN did a special investigation, and were very pointed in their criticisms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Ned5TQoW4

Sounds familiar. In a somewhat noteable contrast, Obama cosponsored a bill that helped to settle the question of McCain's "natural born citizenship" status (as onerous an issue as it was for the New York Times to raise).
    http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/02/29/mccain_panama/

~ CB

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bingo. Obama could use all the support he can get, I doubt he'd turn anyone away, but even without Hillary or Bill really doing much to support him, he's already gaining. I read an article somewhere where Bill had said to someone that if Obama wants his support, and not just a press release the way he did, he'll have to kiss Bill's ass to get it. What he actually said allegedly. I almost hope he doesn't at this point, and can still win without it.

Were it reversed, and Clinton had won, despite the bad blood and negativity about her, I wonder if it would have been this bad for her, because I kinda doubt it.