Jut Bought a Refurbished AirPort Extreme! I Think I Might Be Being Hacked!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SarmadE, Jan 8, 2015.

1. SarmadE macrumors newbie

Get this, I purchased a refurbished Apple AirPort Extreme (new 7th gen) on eBay from a relatively well rated seller. I hooked up the router last night and since then, I've received a few suspicious emails and text messages.

The emails, one from Facebook (probably not a real Facebook email) saying that someone has been trying to log into my account and has failed multiple times. Another from my power company asking me to check if my contact info is correct. The texts, one saying "hey Sam, a girl you know wants to check you out on LuLu, just click" and then a link is provided. Second text, kinda the same thing with a link provided.

Do you think the router I purchased my have a backdoor worm in it and can possibly steal my information/identity? Or am I just being paranoid? I'd like to return this but opening a case like this on eBay may be near impossible.

Thanks on your input

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Can you elobrate more, like what else is happening.

----------

Why would the power company want to know if your info is correct...did you give them the info. Based on the info above i don't think anything is wrong. When you opened it, did you have to go through all the steps of setting it up like look it up on how to start a brand new mac mini and if it matches how ur turned out, then your safe. Tell me what happens

3. SarmadE thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I thought the email was suspicious. I've never received an email from my power company, other than monthly statements. I figured it wasn't really from them but a fraudulent email. It just seemed odd that I received four suspicious emails/texts that I usually never get. The setup was normal. I plugged it in, opened AirPort Utility, it asked me if I want to transfer my current network (from a 4th gen AiPort Extreme) to the new router, and viola... it worked. It's been completely normal other than those four emails/texts. I figured the timing was odd so it's either the router or someone else is trying something.

4. rigormortis, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

its just a coincidence

reset to factory settings
    you can tell it to redownload the software i think if your paranoid
    change your passphrase
    the more characters the better
    i use 504 bits, 63 characters personally
    it sucks to type it in a roku! but i just copy and paste it on other stuff
    the great thing abut 504 bits is you never have to worry about hiding your wifi name, or mac filtering. its computationally impossible to get that passphrase or wifi traffic in the average lifetime of a human being

with the new airport s/w you can see who is connected by holding down option and double clicking the base station in airport utility

the old version 5.xx of airport utility would show you the entire table of people who connect to your router, even wired clients.

6.xx and option double click just seems to show who is currently connected and doesn't show wired clients as far as i can tell

if you have it connected to uverse , or another modem, you can check that modems web page to see if anyone else is connecting to it

i miss 5.xx, well it guess thats one good reason to keep at least one windows so you can edit/view

Ability to see a list of wired DHCP leases
    Controls to disconnect All Users
    Logging and statistics
    Ability to limit access via MAC address
    Airport Disk Guest Access
    Settings to edit transmission power

5. SarmadE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! Do you mind explaining simply how to reset to factory settings? I'm not the most tech savvy person out there.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3728

Factory Default reset (using reset button)

If the device isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

Disconnect the base station's power cord.
    Press and hold the reset button with a pen, pencil, or straightened paperclip. While continuing to hold the button, reconnect the power cord. Keep holding the reset button until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about six seconds.

once you do that you run "airport utility", its in applications / utilities to confiure the router with a new name and a new password. once your done, click on update and the airport box will reboot

if you want, you can save your existing configuration in airport utility in case you want to go back

7. SarmadE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, it worked