Kamala Harris took money from law firm that represented Epstein on same day she blasted it

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...u2SbKiVlt2Q9t7Q7DRgwvTKfSoirJeZTjgxAGCWqauu2M
    lock her up

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Well, I mean she slept her way to the top so what else can we expect for her behavior?

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

There is nothing wrong with this. She didn’t take any money from a law firm. She took money from some lawyers who work at that firm. Big law firms like K&E have thousands of lawyers throughout the world. It’s silly to argue that every lawyer at the firm is somehow tainted by one client. My firm is similar in size to K&E and it also represents some unsavory clients. I have no control over that and it would be foolish to argue that my contributions to Democratic candidates (including Harris) are tainted by those clients.

4. chown33, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

If she "blasted" the law firm (or lawyers) who gave her a contribution, doesn't that signify her independence?

Imagine she'd come out minimizing Epstein's behavior, or arguing he should get bail. That would be the polar opposite, and it would look like she was simply saying what her lawyer funders approved of. Wouldn't that be the kind of speech one should be concerned with?

Here's another hypothetical, which some might relate to better:
    What if Hillary had come out strongly in favor of much stricter regulation of banks and financial institutions, after giving her speech to Wall Street?

5. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

Politician being a politician. Every time I meet one, I attempt to see how far I can throw 'em. You know the saying about trusting someone as far you you can throw 'em.;) There has been only ONE politician I could trust more than my own kids:eek:, but sadly he's gone.:( We were standing next to a cliff.:oops::p:D:D

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, keep telling yourself that. by all means overlook
    ***Kamala Harris called on top Justice Department officials to recuse themselves from any matter related to Jeffrey Epstein last Tuesday****

7. Huntn, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even child abusers deserve lawyers. That’s one of our principles.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

look at post 6

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The top officials needed to recuse because they gave Epstein a dodgy deal...

11. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah I am sure there is no conflict of interest at all :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

That's about as stupid as saying I shouldn't deal with McDonalds in Los Angeles because a McDonalds in New York was caught abusing their staff members. I'm sure they're somehow connected.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, you are overlooking post 6 as well.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

Yeah, GDC make up part of our counsel. I think they employ something like 1,500 employees. I know GDC has represented nasty pieces of work and still do. Still going to use them. They did turn down the White House and Trump, though.

Edit: Sorry, you're an attorney? But you seem so normal and sane...

16. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

What law did she break to be locked up? As I said, a reckless comment.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Imagine if Bush had been sent to The Hague for war crimes. And that then Obama hadn’t invaded Libya.

Then what would the response have been when Gadaffi committed genocide in Benghazi?

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Woah, slow down here a bit.

If what she did is Ok, then why is Chic-fil-a hammered because of who the founding family donates their money to?

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah. Because Kamala Harris is the unethical one you all should be so worried about and spreading more lies about.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I genuinely do not understand this comment. The Cathy family own Chick-Fil-A (including all of the restaurants). If Messers Kirkland and Ellis were still alive and were the only equity partners of Kirkland & Ellis, then I do think that it would be reasonable to complain about a candidate taking money from them and simultaneously complaining about the firm, but that is not the case here. The partners who donated to Harris are just a couple of roughly a thousand partners in the firm. The comparable fast food chain analogy would be if Harris took money from one McDonald’s franchisee and criticized something done by some other McDonald’s franchisees, which would be perfectly reasonable.

21. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

22. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Could you clarify how this relates to Harris? Thanks.

Some thoughts unrelated to Harris unless you can connect the dots for me:
    • W lied (non-existent WMDs) to get us to invade another country run by a dictatorship.
    • Obama chose military intervention in a dictatorship because Qaddafi was cracking down on peaceful protestors part of the Arab Spring movement, but not a W style invasion.
    • Does the world view a country run by a dictatorship as a sovereign country?

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It doesn’t. The reply was aimed at JK who seems to think everyone should be tried for war crimes.

24. Herdfan macrumors 6502

If the company owns all of the restaurants, who are these 1,000's of franchisees I keep reading about?

Bottom line is if the owners/partners/employees of any business/firm want to donate personal funds to a cause, then it shouldn't matter. This goes for both liberal and conservative donors.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. that would be AWESOME
    2. that should be up to his people.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    liberal merry go around ( sorry Raq, got ahead of you there :p)