Kansas City – who's gonna line up and how long are the queues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxmaut, Sep 12, 2014.

1. maxmaut macrumors regular

So I am thinking about going to the store to buy the 6+, right now I am visiting a friend in KC and was wondering – how big the lines usually are a the Plaza store?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sales don't start for the 19th, are you looking to start camping now?

3. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

I am making a decision if I should or should not exchange my flight tickets and stay in US for one extra week just to get the 6 Plus for my development team.

I'm a foreigner and I never camped at any stores, so i'm not quite familiar with the process, and trying to estimate if it does make sense to stay.

I mean if queues in KC are usually long and people camp for days I probably don't have a chance to get a phone on 19th and should be going home as planned.

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I wouldn't want to stay in Kansas any longer than required!

5. string3599 macrumors newbie

Good thing the Kansas City plaza store isn't in Kansas then.

6. nopassn macrumors regular

Could be worse... Could be in California...

7. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I don't think anything is worth camping out in a line for. Just pick it up after the hype settles if you didn't get in on the online pre-orders earlier.

8. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

Get one after the hype settles and be two month behind the developers who got the phone on 19th? No, thanks.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Don't knock it if you've never been here! Kansas, especially around KC, isn't just corn and wheat fields. And sure, it's as flat as a pancake (which, microscopically, isn't flat!). To each their own, but I'll take a Midwest sunset any day.

It's in Missouri which is worse :p I personally wouldn't want to wait outside on the Plaza in what looks to be 80 degrees and 60% chance of rain. Lines will probably be shorter at the Leawood, KS store which is about 15-20 minutes from KC and has a much better parking situation.

10. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Ive lived in KC my entire life and if you plan on waiting outside a store, wait outside the Leawood store. Its in a lesser populated part of the city and less people know about it.

However, the plaza store gets a fairly large line. Last year the line almost wrapped around the block so you should get there early. Also, since KC isn't that large of a metropolitan area the amount of stock received is going to be less than in a bigger city. I think it took like 2 months before you could even get a gold iPhone last year at either apple store.

I drove by the plaza store around midnight the night before the 5s released and there was already 30-40 people so get there super early!

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yup. To each their own. Lived in the MidWest for four years. Hated every minute of it. KC does have the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Almost enough for me to be willing to deal with the bugs, sticky summers, icy winters... but nah. LOL.

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Because Missouri is so amazing!

People from all over the world come and visit...Kansas...errr...

13. smokechaser macrumors regular

smokechaser

14. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I saw that you mentioned that you are planning to buy for your development team. Please note that you are always limited to buying only either 1 or 2 (can't remember exactly, no more than that though) phones at a time. So unless your team is only you and someone else, be prepared to bring more people with you in line.

15. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great tips guys.

So I'll probably go to Leawood store then, I mean I don't know the area at all, so this advice is extremely handy.

Another thing that I wanted to know as a foreigner who does not understand how the taxing in US works – if I am going for let's say 6 Plus, T-mo version, 16GB, which appears to be $749, how much would I ACTUALLY pay for it in the store?

Thanks guys!

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Assuming it's just regular sales tax (I'm not totally sure), it will be a little under $815. Sales tax is 8.5%.

17. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

leawood dude! its like 15 minutes from KC ill be lined up there!

18. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Be careful, since you are a foreigner, Americans will try to cheat and rob you, especially in a weird (NOT considered true United States) state like Kansas.

;)

19. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ouch... Brownbackistan isn't that bad! His Royal Governorness just thinks rich people don't need to pay taxes to fund our schools, and we should be able to do what we want with our guns :rolleyes:

But seriously, OP, you'll be fine. Leawood is a cushy, rich suburb where everybody has the latest and greatest. I'd be more worried on the Plaza. Come by Lawrence if you can. Best restaurant and bar scene :cool: About 45 minutes away from KC.

20. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I like you already. Lol Rock Chalk!

Also, to OP. I have never seen lines at the KC area stores get anywhere like the stuff you see on TV. I decided to Pre-order this year, but waited in line last year for the 5s, I say waited, but I actually showed up the morning of with a cup of coffee and was in and out in a few hours and got what I wanted. Best thing about the Leawood store Joe's KC BBQ is right down the street, do yourself a favor and grab some, you won't regret it. ;)

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Another Kansan here chiming in just not to feel left out. No Apple Store in Wichita. Pre-ordered mine for delivery to my front door.

As to the OP: Sounds like you have a pretty legitimate reason to try and camp out and get one early. I would guess that showing up a few hours before the store opens should be sufficient. I'm sure you could try and do overnight if you want to make an adventure out of it. Bring a friend, bring some card/tabletop games, snacks, etc. Time will fly by.

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Lawrence is the best! I miss MacXprts. It was like having an Apple Store in town without the annoying hipster geniuses. Driving to Leawood can be a pain sometimes. If I was upgrading at launch I'd probably walk right in at Best Buy or Verizon. But I don't have an upgrade until January :rolleyes:

23. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, see you all at Leawood store then!

24. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Good luck! I won't be there since I don't have an upgrade yet. I might stop by in the evening just to look :rolleyes: