Kansas House passes bill allowing refusal of service to same-sex couples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VI™, Feb 13, 2014.

1. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Kansas House passes bill allowing refusal of service to same-sex couples

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/us/kansas-bill-same-sex-services/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Thoughts on this? I believe in not discriminating, but if why would you go to someone who doesn't share your beliefs and convictions and ask for a specific service? It seems like a person may just be doing it for the possible lawsuit...

:confused:

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Replace gay/lesbian with black/latino/disabled/catholic/jewish/small/fat/... and reread again.

Still think it's not discriminating ?

IMO such laws should only be possible for those actually performing a weeding based on religion (read priests) and that only when there are non-religious options available.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Churches should be allowed to refuse to marry same sex couples, but that's about it.. Seems like an overreach using the churches as a platform. Businesses should not be allowed to refuse service based on someone being gay.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm gay and I agree with this. I don't want to get married by a church anyway since they do nothing but spread hate and poison. (And before anyone jumps I'm a Christian but I'm a real Christian who knows God doesn't tell you to discriminate and hate). That being said I could care less if a church doesn't want to marry me but I have every right to get married. I pay taxes, I contribute to society, why can't I marry as well?

And I also agree business shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. People argue the "well its their business" excuse but if every business did that we'd be in trouble which is why there are laws against it.

5. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is and I have thought about that. Why would a black model go to a photographer who is a member of a racist organization? KKK, Neo-Nazi, white power etc...

It seems that knowing a person's beliefs, you can use this information to intentionally bring up a lawsuit. I'll get to the reasoning of this after the other two quotes.

OK, I'll get to it a little bit earlier. IIRC, a wedding photographer was sued for refusing to shoot a wedding because the couple was homosexual. Gay or lesbian, I forget, but they said they didn't believe in it and couldn't shoot the wedding.

Not all churches. I'm not a very religious man, but my girlfriend is and in sharing in her life, I attend church with here about half the time. There is a gay couple in the church. One of them plays the organ and piano. No one there shows any outward discrimination and it's a Lutheran church, so there's no "You're going to hell if you do this or you don't do that" going on. But I agree with you that why would someone seek something from an organization that has opposite beliefs. That thought seems pretty broad, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I believe gay couples should have every right as straight couples. I don't believe a church should be forced to marry a gay couple. There are churches/pastors/etc... out there that will do it, so why not go to them?

Now for the wedding photography thought, it's ingrained in wedding culture. Would the situation have been different if they just said that they refused to shoot the wedding and have a clause that says they have the right to refuse any and all customers? However, I don't agree with this practice if it's something like signing up for a gym or going to a doctors, etc...

I see both sides of the argument, and I agree with certain things on both sides, but it's really hard to say I support the issue one way or another.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Stay classy Kansas....

Legislated discrimination, especially when religion is involved, is just asking for trouble. Talk about creating a slippery slope.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I say you still got it the wrong way round:

If you have madeup issues with certain people you can either suck it up or stay out of proffesions that require you to serve random people (which sooner or later will clash with your madeup issues).

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

In Kansas, it's perfectly legal to be black/latino/disabled/catholic/jewish/small/fat...

...but against the law to marry someone of the same sex. So a business owner can, theoretically, make the claim that he won't engage in business to support an "illegal activity."

That's the only possible leg I can see this movement has to stand on, but then there's the adage (my own, actually): just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I genuinely feel bad for you if your experience with church has been so horrible that you actually believe this.

9. dec. Suspended

dec.

Just another reason to avoid "religious" people. I don't want to cause them any conflicts by engaging them socially risking that they might think that a so called "god" isn't happy to see us interacting.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I live in Central PA where people think the earth is 6000 years old (well where I live now they don't but where I did live they do) so yea, unfortunately my church experiences were never good (and I went probably 16 - 18 years of my life).

I'm a Christian, but a non-denominational one that believes in a higher power but also in science and feels my money is better spent donating to charity verses a church so I'm not liked by many Christians.

11. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if you run a party planning service and a Klan member hires you to plan a rally, you're legally obligated to do it since you can't rightfully discriminate against them based on your beliefs and if you do, you can face a lawsuit?

In that case, it could potentially apply to all professions in the service industry.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Until sexual orientation is made a protected class, as I believe it someday will, Kansas is within their rights to do this. I don't like it, but I'd bet a large majority of Kansans think it's fine.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course they're within their rights to pass this legislation but it will never stand the test of the courts.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No one chooses to be gay but people choose to be racist pieces of human garbage, so yes, you should be able to discriminate against klan members.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what if they become a protected class?:confused:

I'll never understand why some alleged "conservatives" are extreme homophobes:confused:

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps not, for there is evidence in Nature that one variation of a species will attack another only because they are "different".

So, to extrapolate in the extreme, racists are still animals at heart. :p

Or they are just ****ing stupid. :rolleyes:

17. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Replace it with whatever you choose, handicap, DS, etc... It's the example that matters. And even then there are people that will argue with you that people choose to be gay or not.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Americans with Disabilities Act already makes it illegal to discriminate against people who are disabled.

If Congress passes the Americans Who Are A Waste Of Space and Oxygen Act, then it will be illegal to discriminate against klan members.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Nope, being a Klan member is not a Federally protected class, so the business can tell them to take a hike.

Unfortunately, being gay isn't a Federally protected class either. Hopefully that will change soon.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

With an unintended consequence of affording Congress protected status.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I bet the Yelp reviews for Glamor Photos By Die Obersturmführer Der Wehrmacht would be funny as hell.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You say that like they aren't already. ;)

Hell, they can practice insider trading with impunity. Wish I could.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed. Especially the heterosexual, bigoted ones.

24. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

And ironically, legislation like Kansas is passing will drive Federal protection that much quicker.
    So in a sense, bless Kansas. Their ignorance and homophobia will serve to be one more step on the path to equality.

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's useless to argue with you about that because you've never been in our place, which I can tell you is rather scary considering people have and still take their liberty to steamroll over our emotions just because they think they know what's right for everyone.