Karl Rove blows off subpoena

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wild-Bill, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Link

"Former White House adviser Karl Rove defied a congressional subpoena and refused to testify Thursday about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department, including whether he influenced the prosecution of a former Democratic governor of Alabama."

[​IMG]

Now is that the face of a guilty man with something to hide?? ;)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No surprise, the administration seems to be above the law in everything they do. The same draft dodging Rove who outed out a CIA agent. Good thing Im not king because he and the whole administration would be behind bars.

I wonder what Pelosi will do if anything. We have a broken Govt folks at the federal level. Time to give the power back to the states because Washington isnt worth a S....

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

She will do absolutely nothing. If the Democrats don't lose any seats this November, they really need a new Speaker of the House. Preferably one that isn't completely spineless.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Someone like Webb would be good, Democrats are spineless and are not holding anyone accountable. Lets face it they are all bankrolled by the corporations. Even Obama is starting to talk as a corporate puppet.

Washington is Broken.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He can just claim executive privilege as he has been, even though it doesn't really work that way, because no, they won't do anything about it. The Dems earn their spineless label. And Congress is earning it's single digit approval rating. Though they're still preferred at 47% compared to 34% for the GOP. I assume they think they'll skate in to office and not have to work for it, which is a mistake IMO when they should be capitalizing on the record lows of Bush's approval ratings, and how over 80% of the country thinks we're on the wrong track. Especially with the GOP trying something right out of Karl's playbook to regain power, redistricting.

Anyway, apparently he's going to be debating John Edwards in Buffalo on Sept. 26th, that should be interesting.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Why are we surprised that he did and that nobody is doing anything about it? :confused:

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We actually really aren't.

That's what's so sad about this.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, one big problem is that Webb is a Senator, not a Congressman. Kinda hard to be Speaker of the House when you've been elected to the other chamber.

And I doubt anyone is surprised by Rove's maneuver. I would expect that Obama will make extensive use of the executive privilege powers handed to him by the Bush administration - and I would expect that Republicans will support that use lest they desire to be called hypocrites...

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Politico

Unless they bring a Criminal Contempt lawsuit against Rove, they won't get him...on the stand that is.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The fact that he offered to testify stands against him. There's no law stating that testimony has to be in secret. He'll have his turn in the court, I've no doubt about that.

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

This troubles me greatly. The Republicans are saying that he agreed to testify, and that the Democrats are playing silly games. Of course, Mr. Rove only agreed to testify if it were in secret and not under oath. There are important reasons that these hearings should be public and under sworn oath. I would never feel comfortable taking his testimony at face value unless I knew that he had the threat of perjury charges ostensibly keeping him honest, and I know the Democrats feel the same way--which is why they're insisting on a proper hearing..

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

13. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Yes, but he'll undoubtedly not be able to recall any potentially incriminating information. This seems to be the M.O. of this lot.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Whoops, your right but what I meant is the democrats need some tougher people then the wimps like Pelosi and Reid. Spineless. Obama needs a Webb as VP but he said he wasnt interested. Still its interesting that Rove can just ignore this? It looks like the President and all his men are above any law or checks and balances. Makes me wonder what Congress is for if the President and his men can declare them self king. Has anyone heard of any follow up here or are they running away with their tails between their legs.

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No, it's the face of Kelvin MacKenzie morphing into Harold from neighbours.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The chutzpah of Turdblossom and his mouthpiece in that video is amazing.

And why is it every time Republicans are asked to testify, it's off-the-record, not recorded, not under oath, etc.?

Maybe Bill Clinton should have made such demands when being questioned about Monica Lewinsky. Then the Republicans would never have been able to maneuver him into a lie.

Oh, I forgot: that option available only to members of the "right" party. :mad:

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well just you wait 'till Georgie Porgie lines up his pens for Executive Pardons at the end of his term.

Fun times.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nice try...and I really empathize with them and admire their nerve.

But without a sympathetic law enforcement branch, they had no chance of accomplishing anything.

If they were really trying to get Rove charged, it was pointless. OTOH, if they were merely trying to draw attention to the way Rove thumbs his nose at the law, well then, this made the news, so I guess it succeeded.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Will there ever be accountability in US politics again?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

After this administration, how could there be?

23. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Just when you think this POS cannot sink any lower, up pops a story, which dispels that. There is no punishment too severe for Rove. Tri him, convict him of the hundreds of crimes he is guilty of (that should add up to several life sentences), and put him in 'general population' of a federal maximum security prison.