Karma strikes big game hunter crushed by just-shot elephant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 22, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

feel sorry for the family but this guy played stupid games won the top stupid prize.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You have to be a subhuman to allow yourself to shoot an elephant. Good riddance. I don't even feel sorry for the family. I would have no contact with my dad if this were the kind of thing he did as a "hobby".

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think I understand to certain extent the intent to "harvest" animals, maybe like a superiority thing over animals.

But I'd never shoot and kill any animal for sport alone. It just seems so wasteful. Like an elephant, why in the hell would anyone shoot an elephant?!

I do feel sorry for the family however. :(

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

obvious most here are uneducated about hunting . w/o it most of the African game animals would have been gone already.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sad to have seen the video of the leopard he killed. I hunt deer as they are essencially an over populated nusence and quite tasty. However, to kill a leopard? Sad.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ALL game animals get harvested to control the population, happens everywhere.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Unless you are hunting for food, I have no sympathy for you. Especially those who are big game trophy hunters. Good riddance, my only complaint is I wish this would have happened sooner. Family knew what he was doing, no sympathy for them either.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

get rid of hunting in Africa and animals will pretty much go extinct thanks to poachers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] but hey by all means feel better about your store bought meat :rolleyes:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pretty much my thoughts.

No reason to kill for fun (says more about your mindset IMHO), but I don't think anyone would not be shaken by a loved one dying while on a vacation, you just don't expect that kind of thing.

11. DrewDaHilp1, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The meat harvested from the animals go to local villagers. The money from the hunt itself goes to further protect the wildlife. I'll be back with a link from a podcast that just explained all this.

The Rhino Hunter- Radiolab

ETA: Sorry the podcast is from 2015, I should have said that I just listened to.

12. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Furthermore, without culling, the animals can eat all available food, leading to starvation.

Edit.

Sorry, my mistake, we can cull the humans instead. Both species compete for the same resources.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You mean to tell me there's a segment of PRSI that knee-jerks to anything guns? Color me shocked!

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we are culling humans................. look at the M-E :eek:

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, tourism and game hunting tend to go hand-in-hand, but both help create a cost-benefit analysis that "captures the economic value of biodiversity."

As the Economist pointed out in 2010, hunting can help this equation but it's clear that good management is key. While Namibia has many successes, Zimbabwe shows that corruption can hamper this system.

In Zimbabwe this isn't working as people linked with Mugabe's regime are buying up good hunting land and uses the fees to enrich themselves while simultaneously poaching the elephants. Eventually, they'll wipe out the elephants, but they don't care because they'll be richer.

One of the interesting potential structures is "non-use" which allows people to pay to keep the land from being used—essentially a world-wide version of the U.S.'s natural parks system. This, coupled with exclusive hotels and safaris—where the high expense means fewer people go—might help stave off the extinction.

What we really need is structures that break down the ivory and rhino-horn trades. If we do that successfully, than we can shift the balance of the elephant's value from dead to alive.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And our healthcare system.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Somehow I think eco-tourism, and the efforts of conservationists might have had just a little something to do with big game conservation. ;) More people like to shoot with cameras than guns.

In any case, shooting an elephant is wasteful (who's going to eat an entire elephant?), not terribly sporting (an elephant is not exactly a small demanding target), and, as we now know, dangerous. As somebody on this forum is fond of saying 'Play stupid games, win stupid prizes'. My congratulations to the elephant for standing its ground and defending itself (and its family).

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Rosie O'donnell ...........I mean the village's nearby tend to eat the meat from the animals hunted.

19. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The thirld world citizens cannot afford to do this. However I would readily contribute, if corruption could be eliminated. In many countries, police officers are bribed to investigate crimes!
    The horn trade can only be beaten by eliminating the end users in Asia.
    Fully agree. Not entirely sure I would kill a leopard even in self defence. Humans yes, leopards??? Luckily most leopards (and tigers) only turn rogue due to human incompetence, so situation should not arise.
    I also would never cull elephant. Done properly, it is very disturbing. (You cannot just kill the elderly).
    Agree on only hunting for the pot. Recommend African antelope. But not Waterbuck. Rank and greasy.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Elephant? How would they even butcher it?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

23. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

It is only a little, last time I checked, compared with the hunters.
    Nothing is wasted, the local village use everything.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well certainly it seems that locals have used an elephant carcass at least once. Not sure about evidence of the contribution of shooting animals to keep them alive (unless, of course, all the natural predators have been shot)...

25. steve knight, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

maybe they can use the meat of the hunter too no use wasting it too.