Kasich has a point about moving on

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jan 28, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/..._was_gracious_and_humane_on_gay_marriage.html

He'd gotten the largest round of applause and, considering it's a Democratic-biased website, their opinion on his commentary is remarkably soft, though shows they are still incapable of thinking that anyone that doesn't have the "D" label is incapable of being sincere...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/kasich-on-gay-marriage-the-court-has-ruled-and-its-time-to-move-on/

He admits it is a wedge issue, though some of his fellow Republicans and past votes they voted Aye or Nay on might be a hard sell on issues that they, in part, created.

And, no, before I'm accused of homophobia, I'm not hetero - but nice try.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

He's right. Anyone who continues to fight the anti-marriage equality fight is fighting a lost battle. The court has spoken and marriage equality for all is the law of the land. Case closed.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Roe v. Wade was decided on Jan 22, 1973, almost exactly 43 years ago. I haven't seen much, if any, "moving on" from those who object to that ruling. I fully expect the same thing from the Obergefell decision.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Again Kasich proves to be the most level-headed of the Republican candidates.

I just don't see how he gets past all of those candidates ahead of him.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I think Obergefell will go more the way of Loving v. Virginia than Roe v. Wade. Bigots are usually much less passionate than the uterus police.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

Kasich is the worst thing to happen to Ohio since Dick Celeste.

7. Technarchy, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It takes a lot to get over baby murder.

Men ejaculating in/on each other isn't as concerning because it's consensual between adults and there's no baby guts and brains left to deal with after. I am guessing the same is true for whatever lesbians get into.

8. WarHeadz, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

A black man ejaculating in/on on a white woman also isn't as concerning. :rolleyes:

Yep. It's all about the sex. There's no love and lifelong commitment involved. Why is it you righties automatically think and talk about sex when talking about gay people? Is it that difficult for you to get through your head that a gay relationship is capable of the same love, affection, and loyalty as a straight one? Seriously, get some class. And you people wonder why courts don't take you seriously.

I suggest you learn to deal with it, because you people have no say in the matter anymore. We've stripped you of that. :)

Pro-life, anti-civil rights, and pro-gun, and I bet you can't even see your own hypocrisy!

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Course it's gotta be about sex! Think about it. If you took sex out of the gay equation, what would you have? Just a couple of best buds that cuddle. Everyone can deal with that! No confusing feelings or nothing!

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

We can also watch sports, drink beer, burp and fart and play Xbox together and we can even share clothes if we're similar in size. There's quite a few perks to this whole gay thing!

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    See, that's terrible. I wouldn't want my dates playing my videogames. They're mine, and I want 24/7 access to them without anyone getting in my way.

That's the great thing about women. All they want to play is Tetris and Candy Crush on their cell phones.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've never owned a console game player. But I am on level 638 of Candy Crush Soda Saga. And I maxed out the score in Bejeweled.

Sexual reassignment should be just around the corner.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I haven't heard of too many people trying to fight it. most people don't have a big issue with gay marriage being allowed, now the fight will be for people who don't want to be a part of gay marriages to not have to be, and sadly that looks like it might be a losing battle for now at least.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Observing GOP psychology, 60+ votes to repeal the ACA speaks volumes.

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah, the whole Obergefell case was just for kicks and giggles, no one was actually fighting against gay marriage. :rolleyes:

You're correct, it is a losing battle. Three quarters of Americans believe sexual orientation should have the same protected status as race. This reflects in the courts and hopefully soon the federal civil rights act will be amended to reflect it as well.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Whatever gave you the idea that there was opposition?

It was all in your head.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was meaning after the supreme court ruled, most people just moved on and didn't care. However there is still a need to fight for people's freedom of conscience so they are allowed to not participate in a gay wedding if they don't want to.

Before gay marriage was legalized its proponents argued that if you don't want a gay marriage you don't have to get one. Unfortunately that was mostly a lie as they are now trying to make it so if you don't like gay marriage you still have to participate and provide services at the wedding even if you don't want to.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's about rights.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You're right. Those pesky anti-discrimination laws are a real inconvenience to bigots...

My heart bleeds for them and their public businesses.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And what happens when two people's rights conflict? Clearly the argument that the pro gay marriage people are trying to make is that gay people's rights matter more than anyone else's if they conflict.

Personally I figure that if you don't care about my rights why should I care at all about yours?

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How was it a lie? Is anyone being forced to marry someone of the same sex? No one ever ever argued that the fight to legally treat sexual orientation the same as race or religion would end after Obergefell. To the contrary, gay rights advocates were always saying that there's still a lot of work left to do post-Obergefell to legally protect gay people. It was never a secret, don't act all deceived. This was always the game plan.

I understand that you want public establishments to have the freedom not to serve gay couples, but today's society no longer differentiates anti-gay discrimination from racial discrimination. It's the same thing. Things change, society changes, and with those changes there are always some people who get left behind.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Cry me a river. Religion has enjoyed special rights for far too long. Now that they are being dismantled, the religious are getting a taste of their own medicine

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There is no conflict. You don't have the right as a public business to deny service to protected classes based on your personal religious belief.

Are you under the assumption that is a right? Has that ever been a right established under law?

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

The problem is that "religious freedom" doesn't mean what you wish it meant. You want special priveleges, not freedom to worship. Not happening.