Kasich In The Age Of Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 7, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Where was this version of Kasich in the primaries? And before? He's actually starting to sound like someone non-partisan people would vote for in a presidential election. He's kinda right, though. The Kavanaugh nomination may be a short term win for the GOP, but the long term ramifications may not be to their liking. This entire thing was damaging to the country and the GOP is reveling in it. I'm not going to be too surprised if Kasich throws his hat into the next presidential primary to run against Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...ibes-kavanaugh-confirmation-as-short-term-win

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

3. niji, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

niji Contributor

niji

yes. i agree.

its to the point now that i (not a republican by any means) see Kasich type republicans as viable candidates for me to be happy with.

i just wish that so-called moderate republicans (or RINOs) had more spine.
    it was their lack of foresight that knowingly invited into the party a scumbag and his criminal family.
    and mitchell's utilitarian views to create a moral vacuum to ignore the high crimes and misdemeanors being committed.

for these reasons and more, the republican party and ALL of its members who are electing to stay and and vote republicans in to office are co-conspirators, and in fact, right-wing conspirators, and yes, part of the deplorables minority.

which party will be more fired up this November?
    i think its the Democrats.
    sorry to let you know this.

4. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

He would have been the candidate I would have given serious, sober thought about voting for,if it had been him against Hillary.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am lean very much to the left, but I like Kasich because so far he seems much more stable than the extremist alternatives in the GOP. Also, he seems (at least now) to have some compassion for his fellow Americans, which stands in stark contrast to many angry people on the right who just want to judge, condemn, and control people. I also get the feeling that Kasich is generally more moderate than most national politicians in either party nowadays. I hope he runs against Trump in 2020.

It would be nice to return to principled arguments with those supporting the GOP rather than engaging in the kinds of mud-slinging debates we have now.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I disagree with too many of his policy positions to say that he would have been a "good" president, but he certainly would have been a decent, competent president, which after the current fiasco, would be a vast improvement. I think the same could have been said about Romney and McCain.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This is another reason all primaries need to be held on the same day. By the time the 2nd or 3rd round of primaries roll around, half the candidates have dropped out and we don't get the option to vote for the one we would have voted for to start with.

We can even move to the top two or three and do a run-off that way.

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

People who talk like this on the Red side, tend not to be elected by the Koolaid drinkers.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. I know Kasich through a co-worker that has served on his campaigns and have talked to him several times. Great in some respects, horrible in others. He was great in the mid 90's but today, I think he's way out of touch and seen as too old-school and part of what Trump was brought in to shake up. He's a Trump hater and that won't bode well for him in terms of supporters.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Interesting comment what Trump was brought into shake up. Do you presume enabling wreckless chaos is going to end up with a better result? Maybe it will just destroy us instead.

11. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Well, no Trump lover, (or even tolerater) is going to run against him in the next primaries, so people are going to have to get used to that. I am more concerned that the 2nd Amendment rights crowd will continue to boycott Kasich for his previous stances on gun control, which cost him dearly on the national stage. If he cannot make amends with them, I don't have a lot of faith that a primary run will work.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Approval by people on the left usually means that the Republican candidate will not make it through the primaries.

Likewise, approval by the right for a Democrat candidate usually means that the candidate will not make it through the primaries.

The primary results are usually determined by people on the right or left.

I have to disagree with this. It's the longer primary season where the candidate defines themselves and if a candidate does not make it past three primaries, it means that they do not have the political backing or the ability to raise campaign funds (i.e. they will be weak in the actual election).

13. PracticalMac, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Kasich (whom I admire greatly) is dead on:
    Republicans should offer a list (say 20 candidates) to the Dems and ask which one they prefer.
    Still a conservative judge, but one the Dems would be agreeable to.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think 5-6 would be a more reasonable sample size. That said the approach is good. Gives both sides a say.

15. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Then each side would get the most ultra-conservative/liberal for selection.
    Larger numbers offer more variety and nuances.
    ...and harder to get a extreme lean selection.

16. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

That would be the logical, rational and "gentlemanly" thing to do, but the Republicans in the House and Senate have proven, time and again, that none of those things apply any longer. It's all about their party and not the country. While neither party really has the best interests of the country at the forefront of their minds and policies, the GOP is the worst offender in this regard. They no longer care about anything but remaining in power, pleasing an irrational base of voters, and enriching themselves and their backers. We need a really good housecleaning up there, but few voters have the stomach to step out of their boxes and do what's necessary.

17. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Given that a Democratic challenger to Trump has yet to emerge, maybe Kasich should embrace the Dark Side of the Force. :D I can think of a lot of #NeverTrumpers who will cross over to vote for somebody like him, even on a Democratic ticket.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Agree to disagree. If a candidate doesn't make it past the first primary, how is he to define himself?

19. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I would give Kasich a shot. But if he attacks all the accomplishments Trump has done, good luck.

20. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

"Accomplishments"? Like what? Destroying our standing in the world? Denying climate change and denying us a solution when we need it most? Signing "tax cuts" into place that are driving up the debt and deficit? Approving budgets that are going to bankrupt us? Remind us about these "accomplishments.

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm one of them and until he changes his view, I will remain as a non-Kasich voter.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2018 ---
    guess I don't see this chaos you speak of. but then I didn't see the nuke button get pushed or the economy crash or the sky fall or pigs fly either.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2018 ---
    what standing? our pussified stance that let other countries milk donation money from us or rape us on just about every deal?

solutions are fine but when they choke our economy and drag us to a near crawl backwards, they need to go.

Ginned up the economy more than the debt Obamafail added on.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Anyone who goes against Trump is labeled a RINO, which is quite funny when you think about it. I don't see a place for a moderate like Kasich in today's modern Repulican party. I disagree with a lot of his policies, but he'd at least be competent.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I have held this same belief for years. It makes no sense to have primaries on different days- It’s not beyond reason that previous voting outcomes would influence future votes. Even if candidates don’t drop out befor you get to vote, people can think consciously or subconsciously “they’re not going to win anyways because of the NH results” or whatever.

I thought Kasich was one of the few candidates in 2016 who seemed like a genuine person and spoke what he actually believed. Whether I agreed with all of his policy or not, he was really the only candidate I saw who said I want to do X, this is how we’d do it, and this is where this plan was used before and worked. That said, I don’t think he has the presidential authoritarian/confident attitude people want- he comes off as meek. I also think he isn’t partisan enough to be liked by either side’s majority. Overall he seemed like a normal person, not a person hiding behind a political facade.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like he’d make an excellent president.

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I might have voted for Kasich had he won the 2016 GOP nomination.

Yes, he's conservative. I have little problems with conservatives in general. It's the right-wing racist bigots and misogynists and their enablers (e.g. Trump) that I cannot stand. Kasich shows that he has civility and class, unlike Trump and his Base.

The problem is that I still don't think the frothing foaming Fox-News Base will throw a single vote of support towards a perceived centrist like Kasich. Sooo…. regardless of how competent, or how convincing Kasich speeches and interviews might sound, I still don't think he has a chance against the Trump Base. Kasich just isn't right-wing crazy enough to succeed in the GOP Primaries. In order for him to secure the GOP primary, he has to act like a right-wing David-Duke-embracing nutjob, and he has to go out of his way to hurl nasty dog-whistle insults against Mexicans, Middle Easterners, foreigners, journalists, and Obama.