Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During a recent press tour for the period drama A Little Chaos, actress Kate Winslet commented on the shooting process for the upcoming Steve Jobs movie (via Entertainment Weekly). While the movie's structure was already known, Winslet solidifies the idea of the Aaron Sorkin-penned screenplay as three separate 45-minute scenes that are each continuous, in-real-time scenes that begin with him arriving at the event and end with his entrance onto the stage.

steve-jobs-kate-winslet-800x340.jpg
"The way in which that film was shot was extraordinary... extraordinary," said Winslet, whose excitement for the project bubbled to the surface during her recent press tour for A Little Chaos. "Each act is continuous 45 minutes backstage of real time at each launch that Steve Jobs made during those time periods -- '84 was the launch of the Macintosh, '88 was the NeXT computer, '98 was the iMac. Each act takes place backstage and literally ends with him walking from the wings on to the stage to rapturous applause."
Winslet continued to comment on the way director Danny Boyle actually shot the movie, describing takes that would last as long as nine minutes, "sometimes even longer." She ends with comparing star Michael Fassbender's dedication to memorizing 182 pages of dialogue to the work of actors and actresses on a Shakespearean stage production, except twice as hard.
"We have nine-minute takes, sometimes even longer," Winslet continued. "I think there's a scene that Michael and Jeff had that was about 14 pages, so it really went for 11 minutes of continuous dialogue. It's not unusual for an actor to learn huge passages of dialogue when you do a play. But it is unusual for an actor like Michael Fassbender to learn 182 pages of dialogue of which he's on every page. It's like Hamlet, times two."
Conversations surrounding the movie have been circulating thanks to yesterday's release of the first full-length trailer, which gave fans their first in-depth look at Fassbender, Winslet, Jeff Daniels, and Seth Rogen in the new movie. Universal will most likely release another look at the movie before its debut, which is still three months away on October 9.

Article Link: Kate Winslet Calls 'Steve Jobs' Shoot 'Extraordinary', Compares Lengthy Takes to Stage Productions

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
leave the actors alone, just because they don't look exactly like their real world counterparts. Its's much more about the energy and charisma they'll bring.

But Kate Winslet, seriously 9 minute takes...? Have you heard about THIS film:
? It's one ENTIRE 140 minute take!!!

Reactions: Vanilla35

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007

During a recent press tour for the period drama A Little Chaos, actress Kate Winslet commented on the shooting process for the upcoming Steve Jobs movie (via Entertainment Weekly). While the movie's structure was already known, Winslet solidifies the idea of the Aaron Sorkin-penned screenplay as three separate 45-minute scenes that are each continuous, in-real-time scenes that begin with him arriving at the event and end with his entrance onto the stage.

steve-jobs-kate-winslet-800x340.jpg
Winslet continued to comment on the way director Danny Boyle actually shot the movie, describing takes that would last as long as nine minutes, "sometimes even longer." She ends with comparing star Michael Fassbender's dedication to memorizing 182 pages of dialogue to the work of actors and actresses on a Shakespearean stage production, except twice as hard.
Conversations surrounding the movie have been circulating thanks to yesterday's release of the first full-length trailer, which gave fans their first in-depth look at Fassbender, Winslet, Jeff Daniels, and Seth Rogen in the new movie. Universal will most likely release another look at the movie before its debut, which is still three months away on October 9.

Article Link: Kate Winslet Calls 'Steve Jobs' Shoot 'Extraordinary', Compares Lengthy Takes to Stage Productions
Gotta say, if Universal doesn't do a fantastic job marketing this movie in a way similar to Apple, then they really don't care. A phenomenal opportunity to bring on Regis McKenna.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Seems like this could be a good movie and I will most likely watch it... when it hits netflix. Not paying movie theater prices for this.

Reactions: theheadguy

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
More than anything else with this film; the subject, the actors, the director... I'm looking forward to this film just for these long takes. Been interested in them since that episode of Psychoville that was just a single scene.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
"But it is unusual for an actor like Michael Fassbender to learn 182 pages of dialogue of which he’s on every page. It’s like Hamlet, times two.”

And that's what Christian Bale meant when he said he was not the right actor for the role, when he bailed out.

Have 182 pages memorised perfectly by heart? Jesus Christ, I can't even memorise a full page to save my life.
He didn't memorize all 182 pages all at once. But he probably had to do 10 pages for those 9 minutes-long takes.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
He didn't memorize all 182 pages all at once. But he probably had to do 10 pages for those 9 minutes-long takes.
Because of the often disjointed nature of film production, scenes are rarely shot in the order in which they'll be shown. So it's not uncommon for some actors to memorize the entire script just so they have a context for each scene they're shooting. Some actors have a facility for memorizing not only their own lines, but everyone else's as well.

Reactions: orbital~debris

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
leave the actors alone, just because they don't look exactly like their real world counterparts. Its's much more about the energy and charisma they'll bring.

But Kate Winslet, seriously 9 minute takes...? Have you heard about THIS film:
? It's one ENTIRE 140 minute take!!!

That is quite impressive. Although, from what I've read, its screenplay is 12 pages stretched out over 140 minutes with a lot of improvising, and this film covers two more pages than that in just 11 minutes. Long takes of continuous, scripted dialog seem more reminiscent of a stage production than a long and mostly improvised shot.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Because of the often disjointed nature of film production, scenes are rarely shot in the order in which they'll be shown. So it's not uncommon for some actors to memorize the entire script just so they have a context for each scene they're shooting. Some actors have a facility for memorizing not only their own lines, but everyone else's as well.
I’d have to see it to believe it. No one is going to remember 182 pages of text, (in the right order or without mistakes and lots of them).

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I know, that's about the most ridiculous thing to criticize. I really think it's a fanboy/fanatical thing, because well acted/directed and a good script should be all anyone cares about in a movie.
That’s not true. Try a white guy as Ghandi and see how well that works..

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Casstiel

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
Seems like this could be a good movie and I will most likely watch it... when it hits netflix. Not paying movie theater prices for this.

Why not? Because it didn't cost as much as Avengers: Age of Ultron to produce? This is first-rate production by some of the top artists in the movie industry. Danny Boyle and Kate Winslet are Academy Award winners and Fassbender received a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

What's wrong with paying to see this over other movies in the theater? What's wrong with paying to see art?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Why not? Because it didn't cost as much as Avengers: Age of Ultron to produce? This is first-rate production by some of the top artists in the movie industry. Danny Boyle and Kate Winslet are Academy Award winners and Fassbender received a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

What's wrong with paying to see this over other movies in the theater? What's wrong with paying to see art?

For me it comes down to this. I have a pretty nice system at home with a 55" screen and a 7.1 surround sound system. This is a movie that will play well on my screen and does not require anything larger. There are movies that have lots of special effects or cinematography that is just way better on larger screens, but this is not one of them. So there is no need for a theater. And I have no issue paying for art and I do pay. In this case I will pay Apple on-demand or Netflix, just not the movie house.

Reactions: laurim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.