Kathy Griffin's Jesus comments draw fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Comedian Kathy Griffin appears to have upset a few religious folks down in the USA with her Emmy award acceptance speech. Upon taking the stage and receiving the award for her series "My Life on the D-List" Griffin began by mocking those who thank Jesus for trite reasons such as winning something by stating "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus,". She then continued in the same vein, ending with a "Suck it Jesus, this award is my God now".

Bill Donohue of the American Catholic League isn't impressed, saying it's proof that Hollywood hates Jesus and Catholicism in particular. He wants her to apologise for her comments.

CNN has the clip and some commentary here

So....thoughts?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is teh funnay?

"American Catholic League", puleeeeeeze.

3. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

What else did she expect? Making offensive comments in a country that is very much Christian? I can see the joke that she is making and I can also see that people would find it offensive. Duh.

From the department of "here's an obvious example of cause and effect along with a desire to fill up news space with boring articles".

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

To significantly raise her global profile? :p

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Maybe she thought that by making controversial comments in front of a national audience, she'd draw more attention to herself and get people talking about her?

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It's Kathy Griffin for goodness sake! How could you expect anything different?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good for her. I'm sure she got just the reaction she expected. stick to your guns, Kathy.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I know a lot of people don't like her, but I think she is absolutely hilarious, and her acceptance speech is evidence of that.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

One person dares to say that Jesus didn't have **** to do with her success and the fundies get upset?

And they've got nothing better to do than make sure people like kathy griffin are properly deferential to their delicate sensibilities?

:rolleyes:

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Thanatoast: That's kind of how I feel, speaking as one of the people whose ire (I assume) Griffin was trying to draw. It says in II Corinthians "I did not at all mean that you should judge outsiders." Kathy Griffin can say whatever she wants about God. Likewise, I can think she's wrong. I could even get angry about it. But why would I want to do that? I'd rather just live my life the way I know I ought to, and let it stand at that. :cool: Sometimes I have to speak up and deal with conflict, but there are times to keep my mouth shut too. Life's too short to go around being vocally pissed off at all the people I disagree with. Better to just have fun and stand up for what I believe in in a non-pissed off way.

I wish more Christians would figure this out for themselves... I've been known to tweak some of my friends at church for fun/to make a point. :D

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Leave it to that gasbag Bill Donahue to extropolate from one person to every person.

Hey Bill... what 'Wood does Fredrick of Hollywood come from?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The funny thing is that all the people that thank Jesus probably never go to church to begin with.:p:rolleyes:

13. stillwater macrumors regular

I've always found Kathy Griffin more annoying than funny, but I laughed like hell when she said that.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't mind the front end of her comments. She was honest in expressing her belief that Jesus had nothing to do with her award, and I applaud her for that. The "suck it Jesus" comment, however, was rude (if not offensive).

15. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

that's about how I feel. it was unnecessarily rude and offensive, not because of any affront to jesus (he was tortured and crucified, I doubt juvenile barbs affect him much), but it shows tasteless she is.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And as an atheist who comes from a Jewish upbringing (2 strikes against believing in jesus) I find it rude, offensive and tasteless when people start thanking jesus for everything....

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

From the words you are using, it sounds like maybe you actually find it annoying and not those things? I thought atheists were generally harder to "offend"? Honestly, just curious.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who's Kathy Griffin?

Seriously, I have no idea.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, I find preaching to me pretty offensive.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

my observation from these forums is that atheists are among the quickest to be offended and the among the first to say offensive things about other peoples religious beliefs

22. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

How is someone thanking something or some being that is a positive influence on them the equivalent of preaching?

23. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Agreed. So much for the age of enlightened religious tolerance.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think good or bad about what she said, but you actually find her funny?

I can see funnier things just by taking off my clothes.....

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's not rude, offensive, or tasteless when a person thanks their parents/spouse/children/producer/writers... why should it be rude, offensive, and tasteless when they are grateful to their chosen deity?

Conversely, it would be generally considered rude, offensive, and tasteless to specifically deny thanks to their parents/spouse/children/producer/writers... why should it not be considered rude, offensive, or tasteless when they specifically deny thanks to a chosen deity?

Quoted for truth, with some caveats. The atheists of this board are not representative of the atheist population as a whole. I also appreciate the insights brought by many of those of different religious sensibility than mine (mine is Christian; reformation theology if you really want to split hairs). That said... the people on this board who seem most likely to belittle/insult/destructively attack the opinions of others are atheist, not Christian. Yet it's the Christians who get pegged for this particular fault. Something doesn't add up, either in my perception or in the statements by my colleagues.

The usual disclaimers about making sweeping generalizations apply. I'm also willing to admit it if I'm wrong on this matter. Maybe everybody's like this and I'm looking at fellow Christians with rose-tinted glasses, and this board is just another manifestation of John Gabriel's greater Internet dickwad theory...