Kayak on Car - will leaving it on for long period of time dent roof?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upinflames900, May 31, 2010.

1. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

So... I went kayaking, returned home with a kayak on my car. I need to drop it off at a friend's house tomorrow morning. Will leaving it on the roof of my car cause any problems to the car? The roof is a little dented in around where the foam blocks hold the kayak up, but it seems that when I move the kayak around the roof comes right back up to its original shape. The kayak is about 12 feet long, weighs probably 40 lbs. As I alluded to, there is no roof rack on the car, it is sitting on foam blocks. Should I get it off my car, or will leaving it on there for the next 12 hrs not cause a problem? Thanks.

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

You should be fine, a day with kayaks on your car won't cause any permanent damage. Your roof will probably always dent in when you put boats up there again though. Just be sure your car is in a secure place because unlocked kayaks on your roof are a target for thieves.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

It's the same with bikes on the roof of your car. People will steal anything.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Won't hurt the car but could damage the kayak if the temperature is warm. I think it's called oil canning or something like that. A lot can be found by googling this.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Can't everything! :)

6. upinflames900 thread starter macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Thanks for the advice... it made it through the night no problem. Although next time I think I would rather not have to put stuff on my roof... :)