Keep Apps on my iPhone/iPad but not iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockets19, Feb 18, 2012.

1. rockets19 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Air. With the air, my storage space is obviously limited.

I was wondering if there was a way to still sync my music, photos and keep the ability to transfer files to relevant apps through iTunes sharing, but NOT keep the iOS apps on my computer. I backup to iCould now anyway, so I don't see the need to keep copies of the applications on my Macbook as well.

Is this possible? Thanks.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No I do not think it's possible, once you sync your device to your computer, the apps will be synced to the computer as well. I do believe once you sync, you can move those apps files over to your external hard drive and remove the ones from your MBA.

3. rockets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Shadowbench,

If I move the apps to an external drive, won't that remove them from my phone and iPad once I sync data again? Or is there a way to point iTunes to look for the apps on an external drive? Thats not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No, Just set all of this to actually save on the external drive. I actually did this with my PC since I have a 120GB SSD and have a 2TB external. What I actually did is install iTunes on the external drive, but I know you can, at the very least, change where music, movies, apps are stored, in terms of folders. Just point iTunes to the external drive. It's going to be in options somewhere. I am on a work PC, so I don;t have the ability to look right now.

5. rockets19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks LordoftheReef,

I see in preferences where you can change the location of the iTunes library - but that lumps everything all together - apps and music and everything else. I'd like to keep my music on my computer and the apps on the external drive. Is that possible?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This I don't know. I keep it ALL on my external drive since it's a stationary device. If I ever want to listen on my air, I just load google music, which also stores all of my songs. I might be able to play around with it when I get home late tonight, if you don't have an answer by then.