Carrier Keep AT&T Unlimited or Swith to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mistercrabby, Sep 20, 2013.

1. mistercrabby macrumors newbie

I can't decide. I've had AT&T for a while on my 4S but their service is just so-so.

I am thinking about switching to Verizon, which has much better coverage. It's about $20 more per month from Verizon than what I am paying with AT&T.

What do people think? Worth it or crazy to switch?

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

NYC and i carry AT&T iphone 5 and VZW galaxy s3 daily

verizon is not that much better. it works in elevators but for 99.999% of usage there is no difference. and verizon LTE cuts out to 3g like AT&T LTE does as well

3. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Oh God there's no other plausible answer than keep AT&T Unlimited, of course!

4. whodatrr, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Does Verizon allow multitasking yet? Last I heard, only AT&T allowed you to surf, while talking. I don't know if that's still the case, but as someone who spends hours on work calls every day, I'd be lost without being able to access other online services while talking.

UPDATE: It's AT&T that allows you to surf, while talking. And that's a feature that I can't live without. My AT&T service is unlimited, and coverage is OK, BTW... not great, but good enough to be my only phone. Fortunately, I have a tower near my home/home office.

I also occasionally find myself watching NetFlix/Hulu while stuck in airports & such. While my data usage is normally below most caps, some months I would have blown those caps away. It's surprising how much data a couple online movies can consume.

5. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I would keep ATT Unlimited unless there is only Verizon LTE where you live.

6. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I had unlimited with AT&T and switched to Verizon. Regretted it ever since!!! :( stay with AT&T!

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but not on the iPhone.

For me, better service is better than unlimited data.

8. Kendo macrumors 68000

AT&T unlimited LTE caps at 5GB before throttling. 5GB data is normally $50. You're paying $30. Keep the unlimited.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes, I was just going to post this. when you move the LTE "unlimited" plan, it is still 30$, but the LTE moves to EDGE (I simply can't believe that, can anyone comment on real world experience) when you hit the 5GB soft cap.

10. TWD98j macrumors regular

Keep unlimited!!!

AT&T told me this morning that they "would never" take it away. Keep it!!!

11. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

This is a joke right?

You'd rather add data caps to your plan?

12. mainomega macrumors 6502

He is joking guys.

LTE speeds are much faster with ATT than Verizon although Verizon has better coverage. I don't usually travel to bumble-f$k so I don't find that usefull.

KEEP YOUR UNLIMITED PLAN WITH AT&T

13. mistercrabby thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice

I ended up keeping my unlimited plan and I am glad I did.

With my 4S I was using 500 to 600 megs per month.

With the 5S I am using a little over 2 gigs. Had no idea how great LTE would be.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nope. That won't happen until VoLTE is rolled out, and that could be a while yet.

----------

It doesn't *actually* move you to EDGE, but most users have compared the throttled speeds to EDGE. It's good enough to get streaming audio out of if it's not too high quality, but web pages are going to be slow, and video streaming pretty much impossible while throttled.

15. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

It's not that AT&T allows you. Apple's design decision with regards to the antenna system on the iPhone 5/5C/5S won't allow the phone to use LTE and CDMA at the same time (or LTE and HSPA+ at the same time, actually).

The chip inside the iPhone could, technically, do simultaneous 3G/4G on all the models but, when you make a phone call, it dedicates both antennas to the 3G voice technology so it drops your data connection down to 3G. And since Verizon's EVDO implmentation doesn't allow SVDO, you can't talk and use data at the same time.

The only reason it works is because SVDO is in the HSPA spec, so TMobile and AT&T just win that one by nature of Apple's decision not to include a third cellular antenna.

End of next year? Aren't they trialing VoLTE now?

16. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

17. ssdaytona macrumors member

well,

I'm here in Northern VA and have both a verizon and ATT, both with unlimited too. I maybe sticking with ATT, since it's a bit faster. I have experienced a few dropped calls with ATT, but just got the verizon service recently, so I can't make a good comparison with the voice quality.

simultaneous voice and data is a benefit to ATT.

tough choice

18. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I ditched my AT&T unlimited data plan for Verizon's unlimited data plan back in June. The fact that you can have unlimited tethering and no throttling was worth the $200 I spent to take over my friend's Verizon line.

19. BtradI1 macrumors newbie

I did the same, but with my iPad.

Attached Files:

20. phositadc macrumors 6502

Tethering? I didn't think verizon unlimited plans had free tethering...?

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon unlimited does not have free tethering with their phones. It's a $30 add on feature for "unlimited tethering".

But Verizon does not restrict "sim switching" between any devices. And verizon does allow tablets to have hotspots.

So what people do like me is just take unlimited sim out of phone and put it in their veriZon iPad (which has hotspot enabled). Bam. U got iPad with unlimited data plus unlimited hotspot for no extra cost.

This is why verizon unlimited data is so valuable. U can move sim between any devices including phone, tablet, and mifi routers.

All the people that brag about blowing through 100-200gb of data all use mifi devices with unlimited verizon lte data cause verizon cannot throttle or restrict usage between LTE devices because of FCC block C agreement they had to obtain license for LTE band 13.

Att does not have that agreement.

22. takeshi74, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Worth is always highly subjective but coverage is generally recommended as the main criterion for selecting a carrier.

Multitasking != simultaneous voice & data. A device can multitask without simultaneous voice & data and vice versa. In any case, it's not just matter of the carrier but the device as well. As indicated in this and other threads, there are Verizon devices capable of simultaneous voice & data.

I had at&t and switched to Verizon. No regrets. YMMV, depending on coverage and one's priorities. One size does not fit all.

23. Kendo macrumors 68000

Did you need to keep his number?

24. ssdaytona macrumors member

I have verizon unlimited now and maybe looking to switch to ATT unlimited. It just seems that ATT's LTE is faster and more responsive. Why do you guys think verizon is more reliable? Is it because of their CDMA voice technology?

25. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I have been having the opposite delimema for the last couple weeks. Picked up a gold AT&T 64gb 5s on the 18th...There LTE absolutely blows Verizon's out of the park. When Verizon first launch LTE a few years ago i was getting around 30/15 average, top down ever was 48mbps. However, over the last year and a half there network has gotten worse and worse. I had unlimited data and was willing to dump it to go to AT&T.

So...i had AT&T for about 10yrs before leaving for Verizon a couple years ago, same issues though as to why i left. Calls inside buildings are a huge issue with the 3g/4g network they run up here in New England. I had about 5 disconnected calls in the 7 days i had them(got rid of it this morning) With Verizon i have had ZERO in 2yrs now. Plus i can make calls mostly anywhere inside a building without losing signal.

HOWEVER...Today was another classic example of why i wanted to leave Verizon in the first place, LTE network is weak. Don't know what there doing but building penetration is worse, everything is getting worse it seems. I had 3g/1x today where with AT&T i was getting about -85db LTE signal.

Calls are a way distance 3rd for me in importance now with a cellular provider, but when i make those calls from within my building i need them to go through as they are usually critical. I wish AT&T had there VoLTE network up and going so i wouldn't have to lock into Verizon again.

So for right now i am on a gold 64gb Verizon 5s i picked up last night...and after today's debacle i just don't know WTF i want to do, thinking of yet again an AT&T phone.