Keep Battery at 80%?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigMcGuire, Nov 30, 2012.

1. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Hardware: iPhone 5

Is there any app or way to keep the battery at 80% like some laptops have to help the battery longevity?

My iPhone 5 spends 99% of its time plugged in playing music every day. Having done quite a bit of Lithium Ion / Polymer reading, keeping the battery at 100% all the time isn't great for the phone. But, I don't want to burn the battery cycles down every day if I don't have to - need this phone to last 2 years and 400 cycles = limiting. Obviously using the cells are better than not ever (and will go to 40% once a week to keep them active).

If not I was thinking about manually plugging it into the wall when it hits 30-40% then unplugging when it hits 80% but that seems like a lot of work and the cycles used will cross out the benefit for battery longevity.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Any thoughts welcome.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I know of no way to do this and would suggest not worrying about it. Assuming your hardware isn't defective, it'll likely last well over 2 years.

3. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

My iphone 4 lasted well over 2 years with no battery problems and no noticeable loss of charge

4. BigMcGuire thread starter macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

@ the above posters - Thanks, I had my 4s for a year and had amazing battery life till the last day. Glad to hear even after 2 years it's great.

Thanks!