Keep current contract + Apply Discount for Iphone 5 preorder??!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

Our AT&T contract expired on 9/11/2012. The contract we have obviously is no longer an option if you were to sign a new contract since they have these new "shared data" and on top of that you pay $40/phone now or something. We never get close to going over our data plan nor minutes so we don't need to change anything.

On top of that my dad gets 25% discount on service since he works for the cleveland clinic and it makes our bill smaller. On the new "shared data" plans though its a lot more complicated since the 25% is off of the data plan and you don't get the $40/phone discounted.

TLDR: When I preorder 2 iPhone 5s tonight is there an option to keep my current contract AT THE DISCOUNTED PRICE? I find it hard to believe i'll be able to accomplish this all tonight and if i "sign" the new contract I won't be able to change it and get our discount later.

I've never preordered an iphone before, what options come up when you preorder? Will it only give you a list of the new data plans? Will it give me an option to take old contract? How can you apply a discount that isnt "a promo code".

2. takasugi macrumors regular

You don't have to change your plan to upgrade to iPhone 5 with AT&T. When you plug in your phone info, it will give you the upgrade pricing. You will have to create 2 orders as I believe you can't order 2 phones in one transaction.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Even though you're out of contract you can still keep your previous plan.

4. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

So when i do the preorder online and the phone arrive on the 21st will they already be setup or do I have to go in the AT&T store to set everything up including phone & contract?

5. takasugi macrumors regular

When you receive the phone, it will walk you through the setup process wirelessly - no need to go to the store. You will "electronically" agree to the contract - same as signing in person.

6. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help! I went into AT&T and they told me i could go there 10AM when they open tomorrow morning and reserve one. He said he "guarantees i'll get one on release date" if i preorder with them but its based on how much and what they get obviously. I dont really trust them so i'm going to order it through apple but wanted to make sure i didn't lose my discounted contract since it's all automated.