Keep HFS+ 10.13.4 - 10.13.5

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by eLcTrOn, Jun 3, 2018.

1. eLcTrOn macrumors newbie

Hello ,

is this terminal command still works with latest High Sierra versions ?
    Code:
    "/Volumes/Image Volume/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --volume /Volumes/name_of_your_partition --converttoapfs NO

I'm trying to do clean install from USB , and I'm able to get to the screen where it asks me to [ agree to license ]
    but I'm not able to agree , the message says
    to agree type A and press Return ,, but when I'm doing that I get
    Error : could not find target
    and after all my drive becomes APFS

I want HFS+ because I will install Windows 10 via bootcamp. and I want to have read/write permission on the MAC partition ,,, I learned that the available bootcamp drivers gives read only for APFS .

2. chrfr macrumors 604

You need to change "name_of_your_partition" to the name of the disk where you're trying to install.
    So, if you're trying to install to a disk named Macintosh HD, you'd set that to:
    Code:
    --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

3. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

The "--converttoapfs NO" is definitely still working. I tried that just a day ago. But you may need the "--agreetolicense" argument as well

4. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

It might be easier to install the OS onto an external USB hard disk drive and then clone it onto the internal one using CCC. Just remember that Apple might force-convert your SSD anytime with an update so always make sure to be super wary of updates, especially major ones such as 10.13 -> 10.14.

5. eLcTrOn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guyz it works now , my problem was indeed in the name of my partition " Macintosh HD "
    i was having the problem because of the space ,

this made it work
    --volume /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
    thanks a lot @chrfr

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Good that you got it to work.

I sense that installing High Sierra using HFS+ will produce "a better-running installation" than trying APFS...

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

I'm having no problem with APFS. I was concerned at first, but it's pretty transparent in my usage and benches just as fast as HPS+ on my system.

Not pushing or pulling one way or the other. Just reporting.

8. JedNZ macrumors 6502

JedNZ

Successfully installed macOS HS 10.13.4 over my existing Sierra 10.12.6.

I've been holding off from doin g this due to my peculiar setup. My boot system (macOS and Applications, and an Admin User account) are on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD in an Accelsior S PCI SATA III adapter, and all my User data is on a Fusion Drive consisting of a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 blade (in a PCI adapter) coupled with a 2TB spinner. I use a NVMe kext curated via @Rehabman 's Github process (found here) named HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6_sec2018-001.kext and installed at S/L/E.

Steps I took were as follows (my cMP has boot ROM MP51.0085.B00)
    1. Shut down my cMP - removed all HDDs (TM and other scratch disks), my PCI M.2 blade and the 2TB spinner. So just my Accelsior S SATA III PCI holding my Samsung 850 EVO SSD left in the cMP.
    2. Rebooted and logged on using the Admin account (on my boot SSD).
    3. With the macOS HS 10.13.4 installer located in my Applications folder, I issued the following command in Terminal:
    Code:
    /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --agreetolicense --converttoapfs NO
    The installer went off and did it's thing - took around 35 minutes. Upon restart, everything worked fine (I hadn't installed my FD yet at this stage).
    4. Shutdown, re-installed my FD and other drives. Restarted - crash crash crash.
    5. Booted into my backup drive (10.12.6) - removed the NVMe hacked kext from S/L/E - voila! Boots up perfectly and all running fine.

Lesson: probably best to remove the NVMe curated kext prior to upgrading as it isn't needed (and clearly doesn't;'t get removed) when you upgrade to HS, which has native support for (non-bootable) NVMe blades.

Aah, so nice to finally have native NVMe support, and my boot is still on HFS+.