Keep iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZhenyaF, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

My wife has ios6 on her phone, is there a way to wipe it and restore it to as new setting and keeping ios6 instead of updating to ios7?

2. supermethod macrumors newbie

Not unless it is on 6.1.3/6.1.4 and jailbroken with shsh blobs saved.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And only then, it has to be a 4. A 4s and above can't use shsh blobs

4. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Go to felixbruns.de, and from there download the current iOS 6 .ipsw for her phone. The files come direct from Apple's server, so there is no worry for malware. Once you have that downloaded, in iTunes ctrl-click (windows) or option-click (Mac) restore, and browse to where the location of the firmware you downloaded. From thre the rest is as usual.

If you happen to download the wrong version, it will tell you "This firmware is incompatible," so you won't have to worry about messing up the device. I hope this helps!

5. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Why doesn't anybody think before posting? To update/restore apple software, you need to go through apple's servers, which have stopped signing iOS 6. There is no point to downloading the ipsw if it just won't work. On top of that (I am pretty sure) your device will be bricked and you will be forced to update to iOS 7.

6. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I wiped and restored an iPhone 4 to factory settings yesterday and it stayed on iOS 6. So long as you haven't installed the update wiping and restoring it will not install it.

7. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Considering I've done this multiple times on non-jailbroken devices after signing stopped, I would say I've thought before posting. YMMV, but it works for me.