keep iphone 4 and buy ipad 2 or just iphone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imeth, Dec 5, 2011.

1. imeth macrumors regular

hard decision here... I got the 32GB iphone 4 and willing to get the ipad 2 16gb this weekend. Or sell my iphone 4 and just get the 64GB iphone 4s by itself? hard one

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Get the iPad 2. The 4S is a great phone but not exactly a huge improvement over the 4 I think.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That's a very hard one...

I just went from a 4S, to a 4 and iPad 2. I'm now considering just getting the Galaxy Nexus, or the Galaxy Note. Carrying the iPad around is soooo annoying.

It's better to just have one device. The 4S is a lot better than the 4. (going back to the 4 is miserable), but it's so small.

4. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

That's a no-brainer.

Keep the iPhone4 and get the iPad2

There is not a huge difference between the 4 and 4S.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

iPad 2, biggest bang for the bucks. BTW, iPad is portable, but not exactly for "carry-around". You sit down to use them.

6. imeth thread starter macrumors regular

guys I am with Yumyum on this... I am the type of person that sticks to one device.. the lesser the better for me (except of course money & women) but damn this is really hard because I owned a white iPhone 4s 64GB since launch and last week I sold it.. Now I'm back to my iPhone 4 and the speed is so much different lol...

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Yep. You don't realize how annoying it is until you try it yourself.

For the record, I've had 2 iPad 2s, 4 Android phones, and a 3GS, 4, and 4S. I've done it all, and had it all. I think the Galaxy Nexus just might be the way to go.

Here are my reasons, relative to my uses:

-big screen - no more eye strain when web browsing
    -high res screen shows more content
    -a file system
    -ONE device. All notifications on one device. No more juggling the phone and tablet
    -better Gmail support
    -disablable animations + disablable lock screen + faster web browsing + faster app opening in general = faster, more productive me
    -better Google Maps
    -voice services (unlike iPhone 4)
    -way better YouTube app
    -Flash for when I need it, with plugins set to "on-demand"
    -you can search emails by body text. I can't even believe Apple doesn't have this in iOS
    -no physical buttons. Okay, this is more of a want than a need. :p
    -I could use Google Chrome instead of Safari. Chrome is awesome, but I've had to use Safari for bookmarking syncing. With Google Sync I can use Chrome

And onto of all that, I save money by not paying for an iPad data plan.

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Yumunum,

"-a file system"

I'm curious why you need a file system for? Saving files, Accessing files, sharing files?
    iOS App suggestions: GoodReader, FileBrowser, etc all can save within the app (using on-board storage) with the WLAN radio or "Open-In" dialog box. WHen you begin to rely on a file sytem

"-you can search emails by body text. I can't even believe Apple doesn't have this in iOS"

This is supported in iOS ... you just need to use GMAIL as Exchange, not POP/IMAP:
    server: m.google.com
    domain: google

simplicity.

"-no physical buttons. Okay, this is more of a want than a need. :p"

Well capacitive button for 'Home' I think is a logical evolution, but we're never getting away from Volume buttons or the sleep/wake/power button for a VERY long time; regardless of the platform.

Google Sync on mobile is still buggy on 2.3.4/5, what about backing up bookmarks and restoring?

Personally I still dislike having a GMAIL only account before I can begin using an Android device: Droid RAZR, and LG Nitro/Optimus LTE where the first two that allowed me to use the Android without using this first [SE Xperia Ard & SGS Captivate did not].

Still ... iPhone 4 & iPad 2 is a good pair - better if you don't own a laptop! You'll get more use out of the iPad that way.

It all depends on your use patterns, comfort, and real-world needs (not what you see others needs for those products). Personally I have an iPad2 testing from work over the past 4mths but I still cannot see/use it more than a weekend for a handful of apps.

I'm a smartphone guy and IP4 to IP4S was a good enough upgrade: superb camera optics (that alone was impressive), much faster HSPA+ data rates (real-world speeds in congested areas), less dropped calls, and for me about the same battery life (WLAN is almost ALWAYS on during the day and top-up charge overnight).

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Keep 4, Buy iPad 2, and later this year, sell 4 to buy 5.

And if my math is right, this = 7.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Do you need the extra storage space on the iPhone? I certainly know I would rather spend the extra money on my phone, because I have it with me wherever I go. I wouldn't tend to have an iPad with me even half the time.