Keep my 42mm Series 0 SS or Get a Series 1 Sport?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bocks, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Bocks macrumors member

Bocks

Need opinions.

I have a 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch (Series 0) now. (Battery holds a charge like new, works great just SLOW)

I see the deal on Walmart for a 42mm Apple Watch Sport for $179.

Do I sell my series 0 Stainless Steel and get the Series 1 Sport?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2018 ---
    I have 30 days to return to Wal-Mart so i am going to order the 42mm Silver Sport Model and see what I think.
    If its not to my liking I will return it and keep my Series 0.

2. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

If you have to ask, I'm guessing you're not dying to get a new watch, I would hold off until September... While it's not guaranteed that a new watch is coming out, there have been reliable rumors suggesting that a Series 4 will come out in the Fall. In that case, the Series 3 will likely be discounted, or they will put a faster chip in the Series 1.

3. Bocks thread starter macrumors member

Bocks

I think for the cost of this Series 1 ($179) I will use it for a few months and if a Series 4 comes out this fall I will wait for a deal on a Series 3 and upgrade to that. I will sell the Series 1 to cover some of the upgrade costs. I like the Stainless Steel but not enough to keep paying the price premium they want for it.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Reliable rumors? There has actually only been one reliable rumor, which was from Ming Kuo And that was a 15% larger display, larger battery and added health sensors.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/27/new-apple-watch-larger-screen-series-4/

Highly doubt they’re going to upgrade the Series 1 Processor. That would be way to many models with the Series 1, Series 3 in GPS/LTE and new Series 4 models would create way to large of a line up. They might retain the Series 3 model with a price reduction with the GPS/LTE models and remove the Series 1 from the line up.

5. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

While not guaranteed you can be pretty confident there will be a Series 4 in the fall. There weren't many rumors about the Series 2 or 3 before they were released either, likely because their design was largely the same. I bet they keep the Series 1 around or a similar non-GPS model to keep the lower budget option available. If they keep the Series 1 they would almost be forced to give it a spec upgrade at this point.

6. Relentless Power, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I wasn’t indicating that there won’t be a Series 4 in the fall, I was indicating there really has only been one solid rumor, which occurred the day after the educational Keynote last week from Ming Kuo. I would say the probability rate For a Series 4 Apple Watch being announced is at 90% in September.

There are also much fewer Apple Watch suppliers, which limits rumors compared to the iPhone for example. Before the first generation Apple Watch even launched, there was only a cad design that leaked, that was it.

Which is exactly why I don’t see Apple retaining the Series one in their lineup past watchOS 4 and to consolidate the watch line up. I see Apple retaining the Series 3 in the lineup with a price reduction for the GPS/LTE model and then adding the Series 4 offered in GPS and LTE.

7. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I doubt this because of what they did with the Series 2 which has the same processor as the Series 1. I think because of the waterproofing, that it's much cheaper to manufacture of keep the same manufacturing process of the Series 1 while still allowing it to use up the rest of their previous generation chipsets. I think, just as they didn't keep the Series 2, that they won't keep the Series 3 as it will cannibalize their Series 4 watch sales since they will be too similar. Of course, everyone is just speculating at this point though but this was my reasoning.

Unfortunately, expecting a much cheaper Series 3 after the Series 4 came out did not really materialize with the Series 2/Series 3 transition. Most "sales" of S2 were about $30-50 discounted from a new S3.

8. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

My totally uninformed guess is that the S3 GPS will become the entry level offering; the S4 will come with or without LTE and will have extra health and fitness features.

Unless there’s anything amazing in the mix, I’ll stick with my S3 for at least another year. This year may be time to upgrade my phone though (I’m still on a 6s).

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the Series one will be eliminated. I think Apple is going to move away just from upgrading the processor and use the Series 3 as the entry-level Apple Watch with the GPS at a lower price point, and then of course introducing the Series 4 with the latest specifications. If you look at their lineup right now, they offer the Series 1 and series 3 in two models. If they offer the Series one, the Series 3 and the Series 4, that’s way too many models and I think Apple would want to consolidate that.

I think if Apple offers the Series 3 as an entry-level watch, at least it has the opportunity to have more updated specifications with GPS, a higher water resistance rating 50M and a brighter display. Series One is completely dated and it only has a splash resistance rating sharing the same processor as the S2, it’s time to retire that model altogether.

10. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I agree... except that my thinking was that they would eliminate the series 3 like they did the series 2 and have the same number of models once they released the Series 4 GPS and LTE. This would be similar with what they did with the iPad 2 for so many generations (I think they kept it through the iPad Air 2 iteration which was like 4 iterations after iPad 2 was released)

Anyways... only time will tell... if either of us gets it right, i feel there will be an "i told you so" come September from one of us.

11. Bocks thread starter macrumors member

Bocks

Got the Series 1 Sport. Tried it on and promptly returned it. I like the look of stainless steel and the weight as well. Guess I will be waiting for a deal on a series 2 or 3 SS Model.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Agree with your two points above about the stainless steel, and of course the Sapphire display. If you’re looking for a used Series 2, I would also check Swappa. But it’s kind of rare to find sale prices on the stainless steel model’s for the Series 3.

13. mlody macrumors 6502a

Once you go with SS it is hard to go back. In my opinion the aluminum AW feels like a cheap toy - no offense to anyone who likes them, they are just not for me. Plus with silver SS, there is not a single watch band that does not go well with it - the same cant be said about aluminum.

14. Bocks thread starter macrumors member

Bocks

100% Agree. Wont be doing anything but SS going forward.