Keep my late 2008 Unibody and install SSD or 2010 15 in i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kngelv, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kngelv macrumors member

I'm a college student and have a late 2008 15 in Macbook Pro 2.53 with 4GB Ram and a 320GB 7200rpm hard drive. I just ordered an Intel x25 G2 160GB SSD. I have a friend who offered me $1400.00 for my current laptop. I'm thinking about the 15in i7 with the Hi-Rez gloss screen. With my education discount it works out to around a $700.00 cost to upgrade. Thoughts? I'm not a gamer and don't use any hi-intensity software. I mainly use Word, Powerpoint, Keynote and Pages with plenty of web surfing and email. I usually have multiple windows open and occasionally rip some video. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is it seems like a good price for mine and sort of future proofs me a bit. Whichever way I go that computer will get the SSD. For what I'm doing do you think its worth it to upgrade. I need this computer to go about three to four more years and I'm thinking the Core-Duo might be too outdated by then. Thanks.

James

2. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

if your friend is offering you that much I would jump on it before he realizes that he can buy a brand new one for a couple hundred more.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

FWIW I just sold my 2.4Ghz late 2008 and bought a 2.4Ghz i5. The i5 is def more power, but not obvious in every function. Battery life is about double -- got 2hrs w/ my old machine, get about 4 with new one. The audio out from mini displayport is a nice touch.

The reason I decided to sell now is because you can still get decent money for a C2D machine. I got $1200 for mine a few weeks ago so the upgrade cost me $550. I think that was well worth it, especially since I'm sure prices of 15" C2D machines are going to start taking a dive once non-geeks get fixated on the "i" chips. Right or wrong they are going to view C2D machines as old junk.

Obviously your friend is offering you a lot more than I got for mine -- I'm not sure its worth that much. If you plan on keeping him/her a friend you might want to make sure he's not overpaying you. When they find out they can buy a new faster machine for a couple hundred more they are apt to not be too thrilled.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I sold my 2.4 late 08 with 250GB 7200 4GB ram for $1.5k, i would go for the better cpu that's for sure. I love my new i5.

5. kngelv thread starter macrumors member

He looked at the refurbs in the Apple Store to come up with the price. It does have Applecare for another 20 months and I'm giving him the printer I would get with the rebate Apple is offering when you buy a new MBP. Not too bad a deal for either of us. I'm just still debating if I'm going to notice that much of a difference with what I use the computer for.

James

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes you will totally notice a difference in speed and multitasking.

7. killerbee79 macrumors member

Where are you guys selling your used MBP's that you can get such a good price for them so easily and close to an upgrade cycle?

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think I would go for the upgrade, but not the i7. If you don't do anything intense, it's pointless spending the extra $400 or whatever it is to go for the i7. I would just go with the base 2.4 i5, which would be plenty for what you do, or even if you keep your current machine, it would still serve you well.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I posted that I'm selling mine on my Twitter and one of my "followers" bought it in a few minutes..