Keep my Linksys wireless N router or get used Apple Airport wireless G router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Carmellom, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Carmellom macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    I want to fully convert to the apple eco-system but can't afford the new airport extreme right now. Model number of the used airport is EbM8799LL/A
  2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

Feb 8, 2008
    Keep the one you've got. No benefits by switching to Airport Extreme unless you are moving to the simultaneous dual band N version (current gen).

Apple's routers don't really integrate better than any others with Macs.
  3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    I don't understand why you would spend money to downgrade?
  4. Carmellom thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    Even if I think the apple one looks cooler. Am I sacrificing speed if I make the change?
  5. Carmellom thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    I have a problem, I like the way the apple one looks, it drives me nuts too... trust me.
  6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Absolutely. The Linksys is much better than the old APExtreme. You are making a poor choice if you get rid of the Linksys.
  7. Carmellom thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    I need to hear that.. thanks!
  8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2008
    2nd Star to the Right
    Easier to configure from the Airport utility, but that's about the only advantage. TS is better of with his Linksys, even if it ugly.
  9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

Oct 26, 2008
    I have the wrt 610 and 310 and the airport extreme. Performance is identical, the interface after about 5 minutes of using either is easy. The airport has the configurable USB port and the guest network feature. Reception is the pretty much the same. The only thing I can say I dislike about the airport is the power supply. Where linksys puts the ac/dc converter at the plug apple opted to use a laptop style power cord requiring a 1x2x4 inch box on the desk or floor.