Keep or upgrade MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB466LL/A ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akapaul, Sep 29, 2010.

1. akapaul macrumors member

akapaul

Hi Team,

I currently have a MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB466LL/A. I am extremely happy with the laptop (this is my first Mac), but I could use more power. I really like the 13" small form factor. Here are my two options:

Option 1 - Keep the MacBook
    But upgrade the memory to 4GB ($100) and the harddrive to 7200RPM ($100). My battery has 522 cycles and the health is 97%.

Option 2 - Upgrade to MacBook Pro!
    I would really like the i5 or i7 processor but currently these are not available with the 13" MacBook Pro. I would have to settle for the 15" MacBook Pro. I would also have to sell my current MacBook but I am unsure where to sell it

Please let me know your opinions.

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Keep your MBP, upgrade the RAM to 4GB and the HDD to a 7200rpm one - you'll be fine. There's no reason to spend the premium as in a few months, i3 or i5 will come to the 13".

3. apolloa macrumors G4

What he said, plus your computer is rare!! Unibody MacBook, wasn't made for very long before they added the Pro badge. You could think about an SSD drive as well?

4. akapaul thread starter macrumors member

akapaul

You have a good point about it being rare, however it does not have the 8 hour battery, light up keyboard, SD card, audio over minidisplay for HDMI, etc..

:p:apple:

I still love it. The SSD drives are still expensive. I keep all my pictures and iTunes library on the computer therefore a 160GB+ hard drive would be expensive. Unless I figure out how to host the pictures, files, and iTunes somewhere else. That wouldn't be a bad idea either.

5. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

what about an external? 1TB are going pretty cheap now.

6. akapaul thread starter macrumors member

akapaul

True, but would TimeMachine backup files from the external too? If so, that sounds like a great idea.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is possible to set up TM to backup files from an external as well

8. Gucci Mane macrumors newbie

i owned the same exact MacBook unibody as you. I sold it for 800 and now i have an i7 with antiglare screen. i wouldn't say it is worth it unless you use your computer for something that demands the processing speed of the i5 or i7.