Keep programs running when someone else logs in?

archer75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Is it possible to keep programs running when you log off and someone else logs in? I have programs that I want to keep running 24/7. But if my wife logs me off and logs in so she can do her work all my stuff shuts down. Some of it I need to keep running 24/7.
Is there any way to achieve this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Use Fast User Switching.
Your wife does not have to log you out before logging in to her user account.
Both you and your wife can be logged in at the same time. Switch users from the Fast user switching menu.
Enable Fast User Switching from the menubar in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pane.
Click on the padlock to unlock that pane, then enable "Show fast user switching menu as"
You can choose how the accounts appear in that menu.
And --- you can simply switch between the accounts by using that menu.
Both accounts will remain logged in.
I am NOT sure that the apps that you might need to leave open 24/7 will function while your account is not "in front", but the system supports that. There's possibly some third-party apps that are not coded to allow that, but you can test that with your own apps, whatever you use.

archer75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Use Fast User Switching.
Your wife does not have to log you out before logging in to her user account.
Both you and your wife can be logged in at the same time. Switch users from the Fast user switching menu.
Enable Fast User Switching from the menubar in your System Preferences/Users & Groups pane.
Click on the padlock to unlock that pane, then enable "Show fast user switching menu as"
You can choose how the accounts appear in that menu.
And --- you can simply switch between the accounts by using that menu.
Both accounts will remain logged in.
I am NOT sure that the apps that you might need to leave open 24/7 will function while your account is not "in front", but the system supports that. There's possibly some third-party apps that are not coded to allow that, but you can test that with your own apps, whatever you use.
Thank you so much!

archer75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Thanks again, I tested this when I got home and it works perfectly! All my programs remain running and she is able to do her work as well.

Reactions: DeltaMac