Keep the Macbook Pro 13 or go for iMac 21.5 + Macbook Air 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkinblue613, Mar 9, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Sell MBP 13 for iMac 21.5 + Air 11/13

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Upgrade the MBP 13, max out the RAM and add SDD

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I got a question for you all, I have some cash to spend and wanted to know your opinions.

Should I sell my MBP 13" (Early 2011) for a iMac 21.5 + Air 11/13?

The iMac would be the 2.8 Ghz model, the Air would be 128 GB and 4 GB RAM.

OR

Should I upgrade my MBP 13 with 16 GB of RAM and 256 GB of SSD (then I'll put the 500GB in the Optical Drive Bay)?

I know the latter will be a cheaper expense.

Thanks

2. mrobit macrumors regular

What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade to an iMac? Is your 13" MBP suitable for your needs? a 256GB SSD and a RAM upgrade is pretty substantial and cheaper. I'd stick with that, personally.

3. thinkinblue613, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I'm planning on building a home studio setup. The iMac would fill that role perfectly. I do music production and photoshop.

The things I've found most distracting after 1 year of using the MBP 13 is the resolution, weight and fan noise.

Even though I have an external monitor, whenever I am outside of the home, it can become a PITA when I'm working for more than a few hours. And as anyone would know, less weight is better when you're on the go. Especially since I carry another 10-15 lbs of work on my back.

That's where the Air comes in. It's resolution matches the 15" MBP. It's lighter. Not as much fan noise, if any at all.

If this changes anything, I am buying refurbished items.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Looks like you answered your own question. Who are we to spend your money?

5. mrobit macrumors regular

Bam, I agree with Krazy Bill on this one. Valid reasons for you to get an iMac - you basically DID answer your own question there. :)

6. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

I did, didn't I? :p

And it looks like the vote is split, 7-7 at the moment.

7. shootist macrumors regular

Keep the 13" for fun and buy something that works like a Dell Notebook.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Photoshop just depends on what you're doing. If you're doing hours worth of work on photography or illustration, you may get tired of that imac display pretty fast, but everyone is different. I have no way of knowing how you're working, how controlled, or how picky you are. Just don't fall into the really common trap of thinking you need a better display, then try to calibrate via colorsync, then become frustrated and purchase a colorimeter because the salesman said it would fix all of your problems..... snipping story there. It's quite common. Make sure you know how picky you are in advance, and do as much research as necessary (which means more than posting on a mac forum for support;)). I know I seem a little vague, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.

9. thinkinblue613 thread starter macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Thanks for the advice. I kinda know where you're coming from. All I know is that we all have our tastes and preferences, and Apple seems to find a way to fit it in there! :cool:

I'll be thinking about this for awhile, its a big decision and change in lifestyle. I may even wait for the refresh of 2012 before finalizing my decision.

10. roofz macrumors regular

If it was me I'd max out the 13" MBP because it's nice having everything in one machine ")

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Personally, I wouldn't want to have more than 1 Mac, simply because I don't want to manage 2 computers! This can be SO annoying :)

I like all my photos and docs on my internal hard drive, I hate it when I always need to plug an external hard drive to access my files. The only data I put it on my external hard drive is movies, I mean I can't do much about it! All my movies are in HD :D

Anyway, I might want to consider an external monitor.

1. Cheap option: Dell Ultra-Sharp monitor
    2. Expensive (The BEST): Apple Thunderbolt Display ;)

Good luck with your final decision!