Keep the old MBP 2.4 or upgrade to the new MBP? Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamsandart, May 6, 2010.

  1. dreamsandart macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    #1
    I'm having a hard time deciding what to do and asking for some advice.

    At present I have a pre-unibody MacBook Pro 17" 2.4ghz 4gb RAM 160gb 7200rpm. Except for an SSD or putting a bigger HD in (the 160 is just too small and I'm bumping against free space all the time now) I'm at the end of my options for upgrading. I've had the logic board, screen (and whole top cover), track pad, battery, and warped inside cover replaced in the past year. If the new (logic board) 8600 video card keeps going or not is anyones guess from what I gather. Apple Care runs out in 4 months.

    Plan on doing some web design and with a new high end digital camera (30mb files) plan on using Aperture extensively - this is my 'desktop'. A new MBP i7 17" with a 500gb would be nice... but can I get by with a minimum investment and maybe void my remaining warranty with installing a new HD? Or should I just do it and sell this ($1,000?) and upgrade sooner than later? Wait for Sandy Bridge, another year?

    Will I see an improvement in times that will really make it worthwhile and happy I upgraded?
     
  2. Reapur macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    #2
    Sell it, you are hitting the 3 year mark on the machine. The i7 17 inch will not let you down and would speed up work in Aperture/Lightroom considerably. Workflow is extremely important in the digital dark room, and if you are working with a reasonable amount of photos and need to get through them the waiting can really add up and slow you down.

    You would not regret making the move, I know I didnt.
     
  3. davidlv macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2009
    Location:
    Kyoto, Japan
    #3
    The new 2010 base 17" model would fry your old machine, but I don't think performance is the main issue for you.
    First you would not void your 4 remaining months of warrenty by installing a new bigger HD. Keep the original HD the computer came with, and swap it back in, in case you have to send the machine in to Apple. They have been known to disappear if Apple replaces the machine etc.
    Next, if you can afford to upgrade go for it, the newer machines are very well done, maybe even consider a refurbished C2D, should be able to find one for a good price now. Updating the HDs on those is a very easy 10 minute job, so buy the first one you see, pick up a 500GB Hitachi or Seagate for about a 100 dollars and you are set to go.
    :cool:pesonal opinion only, I love new hardware!:cool::apple::cool:
     
  4. dreamsandart thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    #4
    Thanks for the advice! Yes, for sure I would like a new MBP. Getting a $100 upgrade on this one with a new 500GB HD feelings good as for saving money. And as for a new MBP... speed and having it all ready set with a larger HD, and maybe I'll see the difference with the LCD screen (have a HR matte but older tube screen now).

    The Apple Store here (Japan) has MBP set up with matte screen, i7, and 500GB 5400 HD. So I can avoid the wait and walk out with one today. When the newer and cheaper SSD come out may think of one of those and the new unibody would make upgrade easy too.

    Any more encouragement sentiment? Or 'no, just put a bigger HD in the older' ?
     
  5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #5
    Given the history of replacements and knowing that Applecare is about to run out, definitely upgrade while the chance to upgrade is good.
     
  6. dreamsandart thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    #6
    And with that thought in mind...

    My sister wants to buy my old MBP. She'd be happy with it for her use; emails, iphoto, watching DVDs. And I've informed her about the potential issues, But can I feel good about her getting this computer with a limited time under warranty and the known video card problems? Or should I just go with an unknown person on eBay that knows or doesn't about any future problems?
     
  7. dreamsandart thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    #7
    Well... Made the trip yesterday, an hour from Kyoto to the Osaka Apple store with the intent of getting a new MBP 17" i7 with a AG screen - the one I looked at last week. And... last week they had 3 in stock, but yesterday I was out of luck.

    So I left my phone number and on the way back to the train station I stopped in the big electronic department store Yodibashi Camera and picked up Snow Leopard and a WD 500 Blue.

    So now I have a few days to really decide; put the new HD and operating system in the old, or wait/order a new? May give a call to Apple on Monday and see how long a custom order will take. Now I'm thinking if that's the case I have to consider, 8GB of RAM? SSD?...

    What to do, what to do...?
     
  8. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #8
    I can't really help with you on the whole switching thing because I've been looking at the new 13" MBPs, not the 17". But I believe that upgrading the RAM and hard drive yourself doesn't void the warranty, but removing the battery does (on the new models).
     
  9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

    runebinder

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Nottingham, UK
    #9
    Go with the upgrade, it will be worth the step up from the model you have.
     

Share This Page