Keep water damaged iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tonytownsend, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Tonytownsend macrumors member

So I dropped my iPhone 5 in some water and the digitizer wouldn't work. So I called insurance and had a new one sent (new in box, 32gb always seem to be new boxed with 32gb) well I went to grab the old iPhone to send back to assurion and turned it on and everything works fine now somehow. It had lines in the screen yesterday and the water sensor is tripped and I'm really not hurting for money should i just keep the new one? I mean If i ever have a problem with the water damaged phone apple won't fix it and I'm out a phone. It is my last insurance claim but I have a upgrade in February. So what would you do?

2. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I would keep the new replacement one. There may be some other damage on your old phone that isn't evident that could pop up later. Plus if Apple isn't going to fix problems on the water damaged phone, that seems like reason enough by itself to keep the new one.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Asurian wants the broken phone sent to them. If they sent you a return package then send it to them. If probably has long term damage anyway. If you don't return it they will bill you for it. :mad:

It makes no difference if you think it is working now.....

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah, water will have damaged other things you can't see. Just return it and keep your insurance replacement!

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Hmmm keep the replacement. The water damaged phone will have problems with it that you can't see.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd ask the insurance company about it first.
    If they need it back and you don't return it then they will bill you for it.
    Its called insurance fraud.

7. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Example.

I purchased a water damaged iPhone 4 a while back,it had a black screen but it was on and would take screen shots so I cleaned up the logic board and it flickered back to life-the screen would lose backlight for the first few minutes but eventually came to life fully so after I used it for a few days to assure functionality I sold it to a friend of mine.While at work two months later he comes up to me (hey what's up with this lock button)every time he would turn it on the screen would immediately go out he thought it was the loco button pressing itself but I recognized it as the backlight problem returning proving the long term effects of water damage whether you think it's fine or not.

8. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

For future reference, I've heard of a lot of people putting their water-logged iPhones in a bag of rice for 24-48 hours and them working fine afterwards. But, if you had insurance replace it and asked for the old one back, if you don't return it, they will charge you for it...And probably full retail, not the damaged price...