Keep with iPhone 3GS or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FlattsHead, Oct 14, 2011.

  1. FlattsHead macrumors newbie

    Oct 14, 2011
    Hi Guys,

    I'm wondering if you could give some advice on my iPhone situation, and what I should do next. I'm in two minds whether to update my iPhone to a newer model or not. I will definitely upgrade to an iPhone 5 on its release,

    I've had an iPhone 3GS for the past 2 years, and have just recently finished my contract. I've gone onto a one month rolling sim deal, as it was cheaper, and I got more for my money… so I can just buy an iPhone whenever I want from Apple.

    I can get between £150 - £200 for my 3GS on eBay at the moment, so that will come in useful for paying for a newer model, than perhaps if I left upgrading until the iPhone 5 comes out.

    I'm quite happy with my 3GS at the moment, although the battery life doesn't seem to stay very long, but thats to be expected. I could always get it replaced if I do decide to keep my 3GS longer.

    Would it be better for me to sell my iPhone 3GS now and get an iPhone 4, or should I just go for it and buy an iPhone 4S?

    To those of you who have received their 4S, is it worth it? Why? Or would you say there isn't that much difference between that and their iPhone 4? If I do decide to buy one, is it better to wait and go in store next week, or pre-order online?

    I don't know if I can stay with my 3GS until the iPhone 5 comes out, but it would be nice to have a new phone… however, if I just stuck with my 3GS I could save more money for the iPhone 5.

    So… shall I stick with my 3GS, upgrade to an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 4S? Is there any point in getting a 4S if I'm going to sell it as soon as the iPhone 5 comes out?

    What would you guys do?

  2. Kashika macrumors regular

    Sep 8, 2010
    I'm in the same boat. My 3GS does everything an iPhone should with the new iOS 5. It's functionality as a smartphone is still great.

    The 4S does tempt me, but I don't know how much it will add to my experience of using my iPhone.
    The noticeable differences for me would be the camera, screen, antenna, more horsepower and the form factor. I'm not sure this warrants the €700 price tag.
  3. aneftp macrumors 601

    Jul 28, 2007
    Unless you are planning on switching carriers it's usually in your best interest to upgrade as soon as u are eligible.

    I don't care if you want to keep the phone or not. You can resell if for all I care. But each month you don't reset your upgrade cycle you are giving AT&T (I assume u are in USA ) money.
  4. pdqgp macrumors 68020


    Mar 23, 2010
    Wife and I were in the same exact situation as you.

    I upgraded my 3Gs the day it launched too. iOS5 is great and really shines on the Gs. In my case, the battery is fine. In fact my wife uses the 3Gs now.

    My opinion is biased as I went for the 4s, but I still really do not at all regret the move. I had hoped I would be able to hang in there another year to see "what's next" but that could go on forever.

    200% worth it from a 3Gs. 300% from a regular 3G :) For the $99 USD delta between the 4 and 4s, it was a no brainer for me. Better camera, Siri and Voice Dictation are 3 huge feature differences more than worth $99. Really.

    I just walked into the store. They had plenty. Your mileage will very though.
    Is money that much of an issue? If you wait, you'll have more than 12 months to save. However, since you asked, for me, money wasn't the issue, it was more the time and painful use of an older phone that took it's toll. My iPad and performance of a new computer caused me to really yearn for a faster phone. Again, adding in the three features noted above put me more than over the edge. It's great.

    Beating a dead horse to say it again, but here you go. Just do it. You won't regret it.

    No doubt a good combo of 3Gs and iOS5, but if you're interested in a huge leap in speed and some very useful and cool features, the 4s is the way to go though.

    Ironically for me the screen isn't the WOW factor feature that I thought it would be. Perhaps it's because I have an Otterbox Defender with it's built in screen protector and I've never used it naked. I don't know, going without a case isn't an option for me. The rest of the package however, is golden.
  5. Kashika macrumors regular

    Sep 8, 2010
    I don't have a running contract with my iPhone. I got the phone contractfree, it's cheaper that way here. So for me it's not about being eligible to upgrade.
  6. heyloo macrumors 6502

    Nov 2, 2006
    Tough choice. I'm on a similar boat except I'm on an iPhone 4, so I'm not hugely inclined to make the jump to 4S - if I had the funds, absolutely, but unfortunately not at the moment.

    I'm assuming you're in the UK from what I could tell from using GBP? I don't know about the contracts and all, but I wonder if you might be well off getting an unlocked 4 being that it's cheaper now and you won't lose out on resale value terribly (I'd imagine) when the 5 comes out. Like most of the others have pointed out, the jump from 3GS to 4S will be quite significant and a no-brainer. Besides...well although I'm also on the same boat holding my breath for a ~Q2/Q3 release of iPhone 5, you never know what would happen ;)

    Best of luck!
  7. szolr macrumors 6502

    Jul 27, 2011
    London, UK
    Now in the UK I'm in this boat. My 3GS contract expires in February. Vodafone will be quite pleased to give me a 4S now just so long as I sign up for another 24 month contract on the spot. But I'm hanging on til February at which point I intend to ditch Vodafone as fast as possible and never return. It's been 2 years of agony with dropped calls, virtually non-existent 3G and completely useless sales people who know less about the phones they're selling and their network infrastructure than I do. :mad:
  8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 2, 2011
    For me, it made financial sense to upgrade to the 4S. I get yearly upgrades, so I can buy the real iPhone 5 at the $199 subsidized price tag next October/November (if that's when they release it).

    Besides that, because I pay the same monthly rate, regardless of if I'm in a contract or not, it didn't make sense to stick with the same phone. It makes more sense to make a small $250 investment on my part and let my carrier subsidize the rest, since I'm still paying the same monthly rates. If the real iPhone 5 comes out in June, then I'm planning on selling my 4S (as iPhones typically have high resale values) to get the iPhone 5 early.
  9. heyloo macrumors 6502

    Nov 2, 2006
  10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

    Aug 10, 2010
    I would upgrade becaue I do every year. It's your money do what YOU want. You shouldn't need the advice of strangers on a forum to help you make several hundred dollar purchase decision.
  11. JonLa macrumors 6502

    Dec 22, 2009
    I'm surprised to hear that about Vodafone - I thought their 3G network was supposed to be good?

Share This Page