Keeping an unlimited data plan on AT&T.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilianRail, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SilianRail macrumors 6502

Haven't done this in 2 years. Are there any things that have been added to trick you into giving this up on their site when upgrading?

2. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

IF ATT is still throttling the so-called unlimited data plan, what's the big deal of holding on to it. I don't think I ever went over the 3GB limit, but I said goodbye to it in order to occasionally use the hotspot feature (tethering).

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have kept mine through 2 upgrades. If I remember correctly it will ask you if you want to change parts of your plan, just be careful to select that you don't want to change them.

4. nnacrumors, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Because the new ATT plans are ludicrously expensive if you are an individual customer & want a passable amount of data?

Old plan:
    $40/mo for 450 min
    $30/mo for 5gb of data (aka 'unlimited')

New plan:
    $65/mo for 1gb + talk/txt
    $80/mo for 2gb + talk/txt
    $110/mo for 4gb + talk/txt
    $120/mo for 6gb + talk/txt

5. LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 8, 2014

LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I always go in person to an AT&T store to upgrade. I make sure and ask firmly that I will keep my unlimited plan. I don't trust doing this on the net.

When they throttle you, it's not that bad. You still have decent speed to do the basics, I only notice when I'm streaming a high resolution video, downloading apps, or video chats. Browsing, streaming music and low resolution videos don't have a problem. Sometimes I do go over 5gb and it's usually around the last 3 days of the cycle. It's great knowing I will not get excessively overcharged for data usage.

6. dave420, Sep 8, 2014

dave420 macrumors 65816

I will gladly take throttling over the $100 in extra usage charges I would have been billed for just last month. The throttled speed isn't even that bad.

7. Applejuiced, Sep 8, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's 5GB on LTE devices.
    Also at .5mb throttled speed I can still do everything from browsing, streaming music and video.
    All that with never any overage charges. So I'm keeping mine for as long as possible.