Keeping iPhone 3G and Getting a Kodak ZX1 instead of iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markfc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Was really looking forward to getting an iPhone 3G S for the video recording functions but was disappointed with ;

a) Upgrade price on O2 haha.
    b) lack of HD video recording. I assumed it would do at least 720p so I could show off some video on my AppleTV.
    c) Still no unified inbox.
    d) still can't set volumes for alarms independent of ring volume.

I guess I'll wait for iPhone 4G s instead of upgrading my 3G.

Just bought a Kodak ZX1 instead £118 including delivery for doing my video. It's a bit of a pain having two devices but the outdoor quality of the ZX1 recording is fantastic for the price.

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

The previous model Zi6 has batter quality HD recording than the ZX1 although in a bigger case.

Nice little cameras though!

3. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Really? I thought they were the same. Oh well, I'm impressed with the quality for what I want.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You expected "HD" video recording? Oy, the 720p moniker is getting as bad as megapixels. A $400 handheld camera I bought last year won't do actual HD, so why would some phone-based camera do it? Even if it did, you'll get 720p at the expense of other video components that help make a clear picture.

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

6. mikey28 macrumors 6502

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

8. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Mmm maybe because this is Apple. You know those great innovators.

720p recording isn't that ridiculous. Apple adds video recording to its phone years after everyone else yet it's still only VGA? Who wants VGA recording? This is 2009.

Admittedly, I don't want to be able to film a Spielberg movie from my iPhone, but I thought 720p with uploading directly to AppleTV wouldn't be out of the question.

9. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Nope, that's not what I said. I was hoping to replace my iPhone 3G with the 3G S if it recorded in 720p, rather than carry two devices.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I wasn't aware that the Kodak had a unified inbox and functioned as an alarm clock.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm still not sure the processor on the iPhone up to the task of doing HD in a way that's not really slow and frustrating to use.

I would have been very surprised to see HD video on the iPhone. You were expecting it?

No, but his current iPhone 3G does. What's your point?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to state the obvious but I buy a camera when I want pictures be a phone when I want to make calls

Regardless of the improved camera/video capabilities of 3gs it does not compare to devices designed for that single purpose

I have a nikon d70s and there's no way I'd use the iPhones camera instead of the nikon for shooting events

13. jamin100 macrumors 6502

OP, The kodak cameras are great for 2 reasons.

1. their size
    2. their price

No its not going to be the best camera in the world but for £100 its the best in its price field.

The only thing it really lacks is image stabilization but run your footage through imovie 09 and it will improve on that!

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

His thread title? How much more obvious could my point be? :)

15. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Thread title duly updated...

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Roughly 15 minutes of 720p takes a gig of space. So if I'm going to a birthday party where I think I'll record maybe 30-45 minutes of stuff, I'm going to have to remember to sync my iPhone with my computer and free up 3GB of space before I go? :eek:

No thanks. I'd prefer a separate device like your Kodak gizmo there. I'd use my iPhone for quick little video shots, just like how I've used its camera for the last two years. For everything else, a proper camera! :)

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I really want a phone that's a good phone and a camera that's a good camera. That's why I have my iPhone, and my Kodak. But I would never think, "Oh, the iPhone camera isn't glorious... I want to get a camera instead".

I don't buy a pencil cause my ice cream doesn't have sprinkles.

18. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

So what you're saying is if you buy the 32gb version there's space for 8 hours of 720p video...:)

I know I wouldn't fill it with video, that would be daft, but I could easily spare 4gb for an hour of hd video.

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

cool

if video's are a priority then that's a good idea I really don't know why one expects a cell phone to be a fantastic camera! pretty sure it was built to be a cell phone 1st that has a camera and or video in it. but that said if you needed a video camera then great enjoy. Now all we need is that thread I buying the latest microwave instead on a Iphone geesh. :rolleyes: and we are only talking a $150 bucks

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I think the whole point for many of us with the 3GS is that we only have to carry one device instead of multiple devices.

HD video is nice, but it's not like I'm going to use the iPhone to record the most important moments of my life.

The advantage is that since it's my phone I will ALWAYS have it with me and from what we've seen from the keynote, etc, even at the lower resolution the video that the camera takes is very good.

You can also edit the video and post it to facebook, youtube, etc, directly from the phone, something you can't do with the Kodak or pretty much any other compact camcorder.