Keira Knightley in violent charity ad highlighting domestic violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Apr 3, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC [and the ad itself].

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm sure that's the desired effect. Someone many people know and like and the idea that it can happen to anyone.

I liked her before but maybe even more so now for doing this. It's a very effective ad.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's the idea to get across and its really important to make that point.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm not her biggest fan but well done to her for doing this.

This issue gets nowhere near enough backing, IMO.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

It definitely incited the visceral urge to beat the living snot out of guys like that. Kudos to her for doing the ad.

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Brilliant. I hope it generates the desired response.

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Kudos to Kiera for doing this. I didn't used to like her, but then I read how she refuses to get her boobs done despite pressure to do so. That's a moot point for this thread, but at least she stands up for what she feels strongly about and is trying to make a difference.

Kiera +1.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

They needed a better choreographer.

Thats pretty pathetic slapstick they did right there. How he kicks her when she's down...its like watching Wrestling from the 1990s!

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe, but that's sometimes how it is. You think abusers fight fair?

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I hate people who hit women.

unless a woman is really laying into a man and he "pushes" her off and nothing else, I don't see any reason for a man to ever lay a finger on a woman like that!

A guy who drinks in my local lost his mother on mothers day and was in the pub for the wake after the funeral late last week.

He came back in the evening and started arguing with a woman, I assumed to be a relative.

I could suddenly hear this muffled shriek coming from the entrance to the toilets area, it almost didn't sound like a person, more like an animal in pain and when I looked to see what was happening, the guy had both hands round her throat with her pinned against the wall.

He was maybe 5' 8" or something but the woman was only petite and fairly frail looking, much like Keira Knightley herself.

The bar manager pulled him off her and the guy then went outside to chain smoke.

I know in situations like that, there's a lot of emotion flying around but I've not really being able to speak to the guy or show any interest in what he's got to say since that incident. It's just wrong regardless of circumstances.

as for the video, here's a lower bandwidth version for slower systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctoZbeD-GlY

The flash video in the first post brought Firefox to it's knees and I had to force quit.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have thought so, isn't it the point to have a fair fight :rolleyes:.

Note: I agree with iBlue here and am being sarcastic.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unfortunately you can end up being arrested and charged with assualt, if the police get involved and the woman denies her boyfriend/husband was beating her. Since in many cases of abuse the woman will not report the abuse nor file charges if the abuser is arrested.

This part I never understood. Why would a woman continue to see a guy after the first time he hit her? Why would she not file charges immediately?

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Because things are not always so simple.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The UK government thinks that 95% of rapes in the UK aren't reported (source). I'd expect domestic violence to be similarly (if not more) under-reported.

16. toothpaste macrumors 6502

are you a woman? low self esteem. because she "loves him"

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe FIFY ;).

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What are you agreeing or disagreeing with? He's saying it looks fake, and two of you bring up whether the fight looks fair. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, it's one of the things I noticed as well. It's not really an important issue though.

If they're married and/or they have children, then no.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought Sdashiki is saying it looks fake because of how he's kicking her when she's down on the floor. It looks reasonably realistic to me...

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, that's what he's saying. It looks fake. Obviously the fight doesn't look fair, which is what you agreed with. :confused: Well I agree with Sdashiki that it looks like bad wrestling from the 90s (or even the 80s), but it doesn't look fake enough to detract from the quality of the commercial. I think it will be fairly effective.

If you want to watch domestic violence commercials that look disturbingly real, watch Aussie ones. They run quite regularly, although I don't know if the ones I'm referring to are on the internet. I think it's perhaps Aussies don't mind watching something more realistic and true-to-life, while North American audiences have a very low tolerance for anything that is both real and controversial. I find the UK to be somewhere in between, and that's how I'd rate this commercial. I think Keira Knightley being in this commercial is what makes this commercial effective, tbh.

Same with Aussie drink driving ads. They really don't mind making you feel like an ****** if you do anything like they do in the ads, and they do leave a strong impression (or at least they do on me).

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

While I fully support campaigns such as this, I think people tend to forget that men are also the victim of domestic violence often because of the pressure that society puts on men not to retaliate no matter what a women does to them.

I think men who hit women are disgusting, but we do need to do more for men who are victims as well in this kind of situation not just centre the whole campaign on domestic violence initiated by men against women.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well said…
    It affects both sexes.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's true, but these commercials play the percentages, and most domestic violence happens to be against women.

And to comment on the last bit of the quote, I agree. If a woman were to actually try and beat me, I'd hit her back. I know some men are worried about their image, as some people really do believe that hitting a woman is wrong no matter the circumstances (which is just silly....), but abuse is abuse.

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Unfortunately that is unknown. There is far more social stigma attached to a man getting abused by a women than the reverse. I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of cases of a man getting abused by a woman went unreported.

I think the problem here is that if the woman turned around and claimed that she was abused and was just acting in self defense the mentality of the population at large would automatically assume she was telling the truth and thus the man would find it hard to get a fair trial.